Windows10 Creators * Updates

beststevie
beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I've got the G9-791 since over 2 years now. After I installed the OS on Samsung 950Pro (NVME) instead of the Liteon Sata M2-SSD, Windows is not able to neither reset the OS nor to upgrade with the Creators updates. My recherches all lead to a problem to handle NVME based installations. It's just like Windows does not know the correct order of the hard discs after reboot (o, 1 and 2). But it also does not run if I put out all other discs and keep only the NVME-

Does anybody have instsalled a NVME M2 SSD at the same time with a Sata M2 SSD together with an Sata HDD and is able to update normally?

I have to do a fresh inastallation from the scratch every release update. In my opinion to use a SAMSUNG NVME SSD is main stream in our days.

And one thing I really don't understand: Is the only reason why they shrink the install window to about 640x480 that they want to force us to use Cortana?

One more reason not to use this horrible OS!!!! I just use it to gamble, because there's no alternative.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    @beststevie>>> After I installed the OS on Samsung 950Pro (NVME) instead of the Liteon Sata M2-SSD, >>>

How did you transfer the original Win10 image from the Liteon to the Samsung? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beststevie
    no, it was a fresh install from the scratch.

For testing I did many things. Like uninstalling the Samsung NVME driver and replace it against Intel RST (I changed AHCI to Raid in UEFI/BIOS).

The most "successful" was to clone the Samsung to the Liteon. Update didn't stop so early... it went to over 70% and then cancelled.

• JackE
    >>>The most "successful" was to clone the Samsung to the Liteon. Update didn't stop so early... it went to over 70% and then cancelled.>>>

What are you using to 'clone' the Liteon? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    EaseUS TODO Backup Free has been my go to cloning software for years and years. 

Hasn't failed me yet. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • JackE
    @Red-Sand >>> it went to over 70% and then cancelled.>>>Hasn't failed me yet.  >>>

Is 'cancelled' different than 'failed' ? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    JackE said:
    @Red-Sand >>> it went to over 70% and then cancelled.>>>Hasn't failed me yet.  >>>

Is 'cancelled' different than 'failed' ? Jack E/NJ
    I assumed that's what he meant to say. 
    - Hotel Hero
  • beststevie
    There are different error messages like ... in the phasis "save os" there encountered an error or phasis "migrate data"... it just fails and it cancels updating. It's reseted to the old state before udpating. I use Acronis 2018 for cloning the drive. It works fine. Cloned OS runs without error.
  • JackE
    @beststevie>>>Cloned OS runs without error.>>>

If you have the cloned drive, does it work by itself in AHCI mode? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beststevie
    It runs for a while and stops at 70% or so. I was quiet dissapointed and didn't take a look at the reason/error message. Alltogether I don't realize any difference between Raid and AHCI mode, RST or Samsung NVME driver. It just fails :(
  • JackE
    @beststevie >>>cloning the drive was just one try of many. It's more the question on which drive Windows is installed. And no, recovery does not work, too.>>>

Perhaps we better stay on your thread here so we don't confuse it with the related @Swiftblade thread.  His issue was apparently related to remnants of AVG still lingering around the bowels of the drive. Is your old Liteon's hidden recovery partition still intact? Jack E/NJi

Jack E/NJ

• beststevie
    you mean the one of the factory install? I've got an Acronis image of it, but it's always the first, which will be kicked off a new pc/notebook :). There's only Data like Games on the LiteOn.
  • beststevie
    as it's not really famous to post links here.... just search for creator's update and Samsung 950 Pro. There are plenty of threads with other machines which seems to have the same problem