XB271HU is overclocked to 165Hz, but G-Sync seems to stop working at 144 fps. Normal or problematic?

PanCam
PanCam Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives
My XB271HU monitor is overclocked to 165Hz and I have set the refresh rate to 165Hz in Windows settings and game settings as well. However, it seems that my G-Sync stops working at 144 fps. I first noticed this while playing WoW, in certain dungeons the fps goes over 144fps and I can immediately notice some tearing. I recently tested this in Far Cry 2 as well. First I capped my fps to 150 which is between 144Hz and 165Hz, so G-Sync should work there, right? Well it didn't. Then I tried capping the fps to 140 and sure enough, the picture became silky smooth again.

So the question is, is this normal? Or is there a problem with my screen (or something else)?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited April 2018
    As far as I know G-sync works between 30 and 144Hz, unfortunately. You can try enabling fast sync from nvidia control panel, which may reduce the tearing.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• PanCam
    PanCam Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018
    ven98 said:
    As far as I know G-sync works between 30 and 144Hz, unfortunately. You can try enabling fast sync from nvidia control panel, which may reduce the tearing.
    I don't know about this monitor specifically, but Nvidia says: "Unlike other solutions, its unrestricted refresh rate supports from zero Hertz up to the maximum supported by the LCD panel—so you can count on exceptional performance in every game." So as far as I understand, G-Sync should work as long as it doesn't pass the refresh rate, even above 144 fps, assuming the refresh rate is above 144Hz as well. Does anyone know if this monitor simply doesn't support 144Hz+ G-Sync even if the panel is set to 165Hz, or if it's just a problem on my end?