I have an Aspire E5-511p and I'm looking for instructions to update Bios

tugeye
tugeye Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Would any know the procedure to update the Bios?

With all the warning about how you can kill your PC, I'm a little worried

I can't find it on Acer and warranty ran out

Thanks

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,436 Trailblazer
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Do you have any particular problem which you think will resolve by updating BIOS? If so, download the BIOS from Acer support site, extract the zip file to your Desktop.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5400?b=1
    Close all opened programs and applications, disable or uninstall any 3rd party AV programs.
    1.Make sure the battery is fully charged.
    2.Keep the AC adapter connected during the update process.
    3.Disconnect any USB sticks, external HDD, Printers, Headphones etc.
    4.Make sure there won't be any Power failure during the process(if possible).
    5.Keep the downloaded file in a convenient location( ie Desktop)
    6.Extract the zip file by right clicking and selecting "Extract Here" (ie Desktop).
    7.Open the extracted folder.
    8.Right click .exe file and select "Run as Admin".
    Click OK for any prompts on the screen, when the process starts move away from laptop and don't touch any buttons or switch off the laptop.
    Keep your fingers crossed.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You can download latest BIOS here. After the download is complete, extract the file and run it. Make sure the battery is fully charged and laptop plugged in to the AC adapter. Before running the update, it is better to disconnect all USB devices.

It is very unlikely for a bios update to fail, but if it happens the device will be bricked and pretty much unusable. You can then reflush the BIOS by creating a bootable USB drive with the BIOS files, but I am not familiar of how it is exactly done.

Updating the BIOS is not recommended, unless you are experiencing some issues with the device, that even resetting windows to factory won't fix.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,436 Trailblazer
    edited April 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Do you have any particular problem which you think will resolve by updating BIOS? If so, download the BIOS from Acer support site, extract the zip file to your Desktop.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5400?b=1
    Close all opened programs and applications, disable or uninstall any 3rd party AV programs.
    1.Make sure the battery is fully charged.
    2.Keep the AC adapter connected during the update process.
    3.Disconnect any USB sticks, external HDD, Printers, Headphones etc.
    4.Make sure there won't be any Power failure during the process(if possible).
    5.Keep the downloaded file in a convenient location( ie Desktop)
    6.Extract the zip file by right clicking and selecting "Extract Here" (ie Desktop).
    7.Open the extracted folder.
    8.Right click .exe file and select "Run as Admin".
    Click OK for any prompts on the screen, when the process starts move away from laptop and don't touch any buttons or switch off the laptop.
    Keep your fingers crossed.

• tugeye
    tugeye Member Posts: 3 New User
    Awesome! Thanks for the answers and yes, it did answer my question..

I didn't know about the USB or the need to have the battery at100%. I use a USB as a RAM drive so it is always plugged in.

This the kind of basic information they should have on the website.

Guess I'll try tonorrow