Black screen problem

fisherbill
fisherbill Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
Hi, I have an Acer AX1430 desktop with W7 Home. Has been working fine for several years but now all of a sudden when I turn it on a get a black screen. The monitor says "No signal" so I think the monitor is OK. The little research I've done leads me to Bios or some such (sorry, not really tech savey). Is this fixable or is it throw away time? I do hear the disc working when I power it up. No really current backup. Hate to lose all the pictures. Hope you can help.

?

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Great! Note that VGA connections typically have screws for mounting. If yours were screwed in (they don't need to be tight, just snugged down is plenty) then it definitely points to a cable issue. If yours were loose is could have just been not fully seated.

To create a system image backup in the latest Windows 10 release you can hit your Windows key and type backup and it'll offer you Backup Settings. Go ahead and select that. Next on the Backup Settings window go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7). They don't mean it'll take you back to Windows 7, it means it'll use the Windows 7 backup technology. There are two items in the left menu, Create a System Image and Create a System Repair Disc, you'll want to do both of these. The system repair disc is used to boot from in order to restore a system image. You likely will not be able to do a system image backup to a flash drive, there's likely just not enough room, since a system image is going to be as big as what's on your hard drive. If your flash drive is large enough though, go for it. The system repair disc only needs to be something like 8GB and it can't go on the same disk as the system image itself. I typically use a blank DVD for my repair disc and I use the same one for each of my computers that run the same OS. I usually do my system image on an external HD and recreate it every week or two so it's always up to date.

If you just use the default backup for Windows 10 (File History) it'll only backup your data files. To fully recover that type you have to reinstall the OS, then reinstall all your apps, then recover the backup. It can be a real pain...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    A VGA cable has something like 15 little wires in it and sometimes they break where a cable is kinked. If they were nice and snug on the ends it's likely they are broken inside. Windows 7 is even easier than Windows 10 since you don't have to hunt for the Windows 7 Backup. :) The system image is going to be close to the size of what's in use on your hard drive. So if you have a 1TB drive and Windows says 734GB free of 931GB, you need at least 197GB for the backup. If you are going to be running new system images every week or so you will want to keep three or four of them 'in the wings' so you can backup to before the virus took hold. I usually suggest a backup drive be about double the size of your HD, so you'd use a 2TB external drive in the case of a 1TB drive in the computer. The recovery image is much smaller, since it's only enough to fire up the restore software and replace everything onto an empty drive. I usually use an 8GB or 16GB thumb drive for that.

If the system crashes and you have to restore from scratch when you only have a file backup such as what's on your flash drive now, you'll go through four steps to recover. Install the OS from scratch, you may have an OS install disk from the manufacturer or you may download one to work from, but you'll want to use the same type of image as you were running (so Home to Home or Pro to Pro). Once you have the OS back you'll need to install drivers provided by the manufacturer that aren't necessarily in the Windows install. These are downloaded from the manufacturers support site. Once the drivers are in and running correctly (verify through Device Manager) you reinstall all your apps. So you may have had Office and Acrobat and a game or two on your computer, you'll just install them back as you did originally. Finally you restore the files in your backup flash, that gets you back your documents, pictures, music etc.

If the system crashes and you have a recovery image and a system image it's much easier. You boot from the recovery image after replacing the bad HD. It asks for the system image and restores everything to where you were when the system image was created. All done. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Well, first you want to verify the video cable is tightly connected at both ends and not damaged between. It sounds like you get no signal at all, rather than the initial text and then no signal. That typically means it's a display problem rather than a Windows problem. The good news is that even if it's broken badly enough to require a new computer the hard drive is likely good and all your data will be recoverable.

Check the cable first and then we'll look deeper.
  • fisherbill

Tinkerer

I've checked the cable and both ends appear to be tight. I might check to see if I have another one somewhere so I can eliminate this as a possible cause one way or the other. I also notice that the keyboard appears to be dead although maybe this doesn't become active until the system fully loads? Thanks for the response. I keep you posted.
  • billsey
    The keyboard should work during POST, though it'll be hard to tell if there's nothing on the screen. ;)
  • fisherbill

Tinkerer

I just wanted to let you know that I took your advice and investigated the video (VGA) connection. I had to remove the system from the cubby hole it was installed in in order to pull the cables etc. I then hooked the system back up so I could troubleshoot it, and low and behold it works! I suspect that the video cable is intermittent, so I will see if I can get another one. In the meantime I am doing a backup to a flash drive so I will still have my files if the system does bomb. Is there any easy way to create a system disc so I can reload all the original software if the system crashes? I'll put the likes and helps on your reply message. Thanks for your help.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Great! Note that VGA connections typically have screws for mounting. If yours were screwed in (they don't need to be tight, just snugged down is plenty) then it definitely points to a cable issue. If yours were loose is could have just been not fully seated.

To create a system image backup in the latest Windows 10 release you can hit your Windows key and type backup and it'll offer you Backup Settings. Go ahead and select that. Next on the Backup Settings window go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7). They don't mean it'll take you back to Windows 7, it means it'll use the Windows 7 backup technology. There are two items in the left menu, Create a System Image and Create a System Repair Disc, you'll want to do both of these. The system repair disc is used to boot from in order to restore a system image. You likely will not be able to do a system image backup to a flash drive, there's likely just not enough room, since a system image is going to be as big as what's on your hard drive. If your flash drive is large enough though, go for it. The system repair disc only needs to be something like 8GB and it can't go on the same disk as the system image itself. I typically use a blank DVD for my repair disc and I use the same one for each of my computers that run the same OS. I usually do my system image on an external HD and recreate it every week or two so it's always up to date.

If you just use the default backup for Windows 10 (File History) it'll only backup your data files. To fully recover that type you have to reinstall the OS, then reinstall all your apps, then recover the backup. It can be a real pain...
  • fisherbill

Tinkerer

They are the screw in type. Thing is they were screwed in tight and have been that way for the 5 or six years that I have been using this PC. Who knows? I'm getting a new cable on Amazon ($6.00). I'm a little confused about creating the system image backup. The system in question is Windows 7. Don't I create the system image using that computer and OS? Also how can I tell how much storage space I will need to do this in advance so I use the appropriate media. I'm confused about the whole process. I've backed up all my files to a flash drive. Lets say the system crashes and I need to start from scratch. Do I start with the system image disc I've created, load that and then load the files from my backup? What is the repair  disc for? Sorry for all the stupid questions.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    A VGA cable has something like 15 little wires in it and sometimes they break where a cable is kinked. If they were nice and snug on the ends it's likely they are broken inside. Windows 7 is even easier than Windows 10 since you don't have to hunt for the Windows 7 Backup. :) The system image is going to be close to the size of what's in use on your hard drive. So if you have a 1TB drive and Windows says 734GB free of 931GB, you need at least 197GB for the backup. If you are going to be running new system images every week or so you will want to keep three or four of them 'in the wings' so you can backup to before the virus took hold. I usually suggest a backup drive be about double the size of your HD, so you'd use a 2TB external drive in the case of a 1TB drive in the computer. The recovery image is much smaller, since it's only enough to fire up the restore software and replace everything onto an empty drive. I usually use an 8GB or 16GB thumb drive for that.

If the system crashes and you have to restore from scratch when you only have a file backup such as what's on your flash drive now, you'll go through four steps to recover. Install the OS from scratch, you may have an OS install disk from the manufacturer or you may download one to work from, but you'll want to use the same type of image as you were running (so Home to Home or Pro to Pro). Once you have the OS back you'll need to install drivers provided by the manufacturer that aren't necessarily in the Windows install. These are downloaded from the manufacturers support site. Once the drivers are in and running correctly (verify through Device Manager) you reinstall all your apps. So you may have had Office and Acrobat and a game or two on your computer, you'll just install them back as you did originally. Finally you restore the files in your backup flash, that gets you back your documents, pictures, music etc.

If the system crashes and you have a recovery image and a system image it's much easier. You boot from the recovery image after replacing the bad HD. It asks for the system image and restores everything to where you were when the system image was created. All done. :)
  • fisherbill

Tinkerer

Hey, thanks loads. Helps a lot. Will print out your instructions and get going.