Acer Aspire E5-774 won't boot from any other drive

samuelgottschall
samuelgottschall Member Posts: 2 New User
edited April 2018 in Aspire Laptops
Hey all, I got a annoying problem. I work at a computer repair shop, and a client brought in their Acer laptop to be worked one, One annoying issue is the battery, which reads as there and working, but doesn't power anything. Anyway let me get to the issue I am trying to solve. The Customer would like a larger harddrive than the one that came with it. The original is a 250GB M2 Drive. I tried swapping it with a SSD in the Sata port, wouldn't boot. I tried getting another M2 card and cloning the original drive. No good. I tried boot from flash drives, nope. Doens't seem to boot from anything except the original drive. I see nothing in the BIOS to deal with this. I tried switching from UEFI to legacy boot, same issues. I do not see any way to turn off secure boot. I did make sure the BIOS is completely updated, but nothing changed. Does anyone know how I can update their harddrive space? Advice?

It's an Acer Aspire E5-774 Series Model # N16Q5 running Windows 10

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Leave in UEFI bootstrapper mode. Set a supervisor password. Don't forget it. :) Save and exit. Reboot. F2 back into the UEFI menu.  Disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• samuelgottschall
    samuelgottschall Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Leave in UEFI bootstrapper mode. Set a supervisor password. Don't forget it. :) Save and exit. Reboot. F2 back into the UEFI menu.  Disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ
      thank you very much, that helped alot. but I still have issues booting anything external, It only seems to recognize things if I put a Linux USB drive in. Other than that it only boots the windows manager
  • Angellus2018
    Angellus2018 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I am having the same problem with my Aspire E15, update wiped out everything

Have Win 10 ISO on a USB stick, using Rufus

Changed the BIOS and disbaled secure boot

Still nothing at all, how to fix?
  • Angellus2018
    Angellus2018 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Now it says it can't boot from USB

Only from Windows Boot Manager or Network Boot-IPV4 or 6
  • JackE
    @Angellus2018
    For UEFI mode, stick must be GPT FAT32 not MBR FAT32. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Unheard
    Unheard Member Posts: 39 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    JackE said:
    Maybe I didn't understand. Cloned the HDD to a WD M.2 card, but am not successful booting from it. I was able to deselect secure boot without password, but it didn't work. Setting a password later made no difference.

Is there no other way than to take out the HDD? :-( What is causing this?
  • JackE
    The BIOS is still looking at the HDD's hidden boot permission partition. You must temporarily disconnect the HDD to force the BIOS to look at the m.2's hidden boot permission partition. Once BIOS is forced to look at the SSD permission partition, you can reconnect the HDD and it should still boot from the m.2 as the boot system C : \ drive. The HDD should appear as the extra D : \ drive 

Jack E/NJ

• Hey all, I got a annoying problem. I work at a computer repair shop, and a client brought in their Acer laptop to be worked one, One annoying issue is the battery, which reads as there and working, but doesn't power anything. Anyway let me get to the issue I am trying to solve. The Customer would like a larger harddrive than the one that came with it. The original is a 250GB M2 Drive. I tried swapping it with a SSD in the Sata port, wouldn't boot. I tried getting another M2 card and cloning the original drive. No good. I tried boot from flash drives, nope. Doens't seem to boot from anything except the original drive. I see nothing in the BIOS to deal with this. I tried switching from UEFI to legacy boot, same issues. I do not see any way to turn off secure boot. I did make sure the BIOS is completely updated, but nothing changed. Does anyone know how I can update their harddrive space? Advice?

It's an Acer Aspire E5-774 Series Model # N16Q5 running Windows 10

Firstly, how did you clone the new M.2 drive? Also and after you cloned this new M.2 drive, did you take the 2.5” spinner HDD out and only have the new M.2 boot drive to boot with in the laptop? As keeping the 2.5” spinner HDD together installed could give you this problem. Take the 2.5” spinner HDD out and try to boot the E5-774 like that. Also, it could be that the new M.2 drive is not compatible with the E5-773 as it has to be a SATA-3 type M.2 and Acer recommends either a Samsung, Hynix, Kingston, Liteon or a Toshiba SATA M.2 type drive with features of: e-NAND system specification, compliant with V5.0. Dual data rate; up to 400Mbytes/s @ 200MHz. 

Just as a suggestion for a higher capacity M.2 drive for the E5-774, try the higher capacity 512Gb Samsung MZNLN512HCHP and use the SamsungData Migration” to clone the old boot drive with, as I’ve never ever had any problems with Samsung M.2 or 2.5” SSD drives and with cloning software.

• Unheard
    JackE said:
    The BIOS is still looking at the HDD's hidden boot permission partition. You must temporarily disconnect the HDD to force the BIOS to look at the m.2's hidden boot permission partition. Once BIOS is forced to look at the SSD permission partition, you can reconnect the HDD and it should still boot from the m.2 as the boot system C : \ drive. The HDD should appear as the extra D : \ drive 
    When I disconnect the HDD, I get a UEFI message "The PC/device must be repaired" and there are some options, none of which helped. Seems the SSD doesn't work in this model. When running, the disk seems to be ok and is seen in explorer, however.
  • JackE
        Don't worry, it should work. At this point, perhaps the easiest approach for you is to make a Win10 installation usb pendrive using Microsoft's media creation tool. Then, again temporarily disconnect the HDD. Insert the Win10 installation usb stick. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. A Win10 installation menu should appear to install a fresh copy of Win10 on the m.2. Once installed and up and running, then you can reconnect the HDD.

Jack E/NJ

• Unheard
    JackE said:
        Don't worry, it should work. At this point, perhaps the easiest approach for you is to make a Win10 installation usb pendrive using Microsoft's media creation tool. Then, again temporarily disconnect the HDD. Insert the Win10 installation usb stick. Turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. A Win10 installation menu should appear to install a fresh copy of Win10 on the m.2. Once installed and up and running, then you can reconnect the HDD.

So, I cannot get around setting up Win instead of using my image? That's not what I intended, but if this is the way, I'll go it. Thanks, I'll try.
  • JackE
    The problem is not the Win image but with the hidden EFI partition on the SSD card connected to the m.2 card socket. It does not match the EFI trusted file partition that the BIOS firmware is looking for on the HDD connected to 2.5" drive socket.  So the BIOS won 't let the machine boot from the SSD card.

Jack E/NJ

• Unheard
    JackE said:
    The problem is not the Win image but with the hidden EFI partition on the SSD card connected to the m.2 card socket. It does not match the EFI trusted file partition that the BIOS firmware is looking for on the HDD connected to 2.5" drive socket.  So the BIOS won 't let the machine boot from the SSD card.

I did it. Had to manually do things with some file-operations in the repair environment (Voodoo magic), but it fully works. Really pays, it got incredibly fast :-).
  • JackE
    Congrats. Thanks for reporting back on your success!! :)

Jack E/NJ