Need guidance on Remedies for Failing Windows 10 Updates on Gateway DX4860

jdotsr1
jdotsr1 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Good Day, I am supporting a client who has 4 Gateway DX4860 Desktops with Core-i5 2300 processors running Windows 10 Home Build 1607.  There were a number of attempts made to get the Security Updates for Build 1607 to finish.  From all appearances, the update was finally achieved this morning.  When trying to get the machines up to Build 1709 to ensure future support, the process halts at 83%.  The only way to re-establish functionality is to power cycle and have the machine recover to the previous version.  I have attempted all suggested remedies from Microsoft and the last community article suggested to contact the manufacturer.  Hence, my question posted here to the community.  Please update me on suggested remedy paths as the client is to their threshold of pain with this issue and is talking about replacing their machines with Dell products.  I would like to save the client and restore the Gateway name.

Thanks,
John Ostenda
JDO Diversified Solutions, LLC
Columbia, SC

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    jdotsr1 

The Gateway model DX4860 is not listed as being suitable to install Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. 
    You may try the below mentioned steps 

>>>> Microsoft knows that sometimes updates bring along a few unwanted issues, which is why the company created the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This will automatically detect problems with your system, which can take a few minutes to complete. Download the troubleshooter here, then click Advanced Settings and you’ll find an “Apply repairs Automatically” option.

>>>>Make a quick-fix batch file
    Open up Notepad copy and paste the italicised text below. Save the file as Fix.bat (the .bat bit is crucial) and make sure to save it to desktop so you can get to it easily. Right-click the file on your desktop and select Run as Administrator. Once the file has done its stuff, restart and run Windows Update again.

@ECHO OFF echo This script is intended to stop Windows Update being COMPLETELY and UTTERLY rubbish echo. PAUSE echo. attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2 attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.* net stop wuauserv net stop CryptSvc net stop BITS ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader" downloader.old net Start BITS net start CryptSvc net start wuauserv echo. echo Windows Update should now work properly. Thanks Microsoft. echo. PAUSE

Now try to get the Security Updates for Build 1607 to finish

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • jdotsr1
    Good Day, I processed the suggestions as described.  The machine successfully installed a cumulative update at level 1607.  When I tried to get the KB# from Update History, the message stated "No Updates have been installed yet."  Upon restart, the machine displayed a warning that the operating system build would not be supported after April 10, 2018.  I was under the impression that the Build would be supported until 2023????  Windows Update then forged ahead and started downloading Windows 10, version 1709.  My next step was to run DISM.exe /Online /Clean-up-image /Restorehealth from the elevated command line.  There is no trace of the security feature update that was scheduled prior to me running the suggested remedies above.  Two questions.  If "The Gateway model DX4860 is not listed as being suitable to install Windows 10 Fall Creators Update", and I am truly successful at getting 1607 to fully install, what are the client options?  Are they forced to buy a new desktop?  That option will not go over really well.  However, I need to give them an indication as to what their options are.  Your support is greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    John Ostenda
    Columbia, SC

• jdotsr1
    Good Day, To reiterate, if "The Gateway model DX4860 is not listed as being suitable to install Windows 10 Fall Creators Update", and I believe Build 1607 is as far as it can go since failed attempts to update are referencing Build 1709,  what are the client options?  Are they forced to buy a new desktop?  I need to give them an indication as to what their options are.  Alternatively, I need a method to turn off update attempts.  Each morning the machine is hung at 83% update progress (even with Windows Update Service disabled) requiring a hard power cycle leading to a restore to previous version to regain functionality.  Repeated power cycles compromises the health of the HDD as you well know.  All suggestions via Microsoft have been ineffective.  I need to implement a means to allow the machine to work unencumbered until a long range path forward can be devised by month end.  Your suggestions as the manufacturer are greatly needed and your support is greatly appreciated.
    Sincerely,
    John Ostenda
    Columbia, SC 
  • Gomtuu
    Gomtuu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Here's what to do. Make sure you have a DVD containing the Windows 10 1709 install. Of course you should also have a backup of your system. Then go to device manager and find your wireless network card. Disable the device and then select uninstall. After this completes shut down your PC and physically remove the card. Power up you PC and allow it to boot. Insert the Windows 10 1709 upgrade and run setup. It should install without problems. After the install is complete you can power down and then reinstall the wireless card. I fought with the upgrade to Windows 10 1607 for months. After removing the wireless network card the install succeeded the first time.
  • jdotsr1
    Good Day, Thank you for your response.  I had a meeting with the responsible people of the organization yesterday.  Their concern was, "if the update is being compromised now, what will the ramifications be in the future?  Will we continue to have problems that will impact work in the offices if you force fix this particular issue?  The manufacturers' representative has already stated that the machine is not listed as being suitable for the Fall Creators' Update.  We think it is time to consider an alternative to machines that are listed as update compatible."  I am collecting estimates to do the equipment change.  As they are a not-for-profit entity, they want a cost effective solution and to utilize the existing peripherals to keep costs within budget.  My current target for hardware is $500 with software as a separate line item.  Can one of your team get me a competitive quote?
  • Gomtuu
    Gomtuu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello jdotsr1. I'm just a retired software engineer who happens to have a Gateway FX6860. I found this solution by looking at the Gateway community forum. My Gateway PC experienced exactly what you described and the removal of the wireless network card just to allow the update to run worked without any problems at all. It's also possible to replace the card with a different one that is known to work with Windows 10 build 1709. These cards are very inexpensive. A user on the Gateway community forum replaced his for less than $10. If I lived in Columbia SC I'd offer to fix these non-profit owned PC's for nothing. If you can connect the PC directly to a router via ethernet cable you don't even have to worry about creating an install DVD. Anyone with a reasonable amount of PC hardware experience should be able to do this easily. If these PC's are meeting their needs I would not recommend replacing them at this point. This fix is relatively easy, with minimal risk, and essentially with zero cost.
    I hope I have been of some help to you.

• jdotsr1
    Good Day, The machine is currently connected to its network via an ethernet connection.  I will attempt what you suggest and see what happens.  I have been associated with the computer electronics industry since 1980 and the DOS operating system.  I have run into so many clients having trouble with Windows 10, especially the ones who did the "free" conversion without checking to see if there hardware was compatible, or got into that phase where the machine "wouldn't take no for an answer".  Thanks for your guidance.  I will implement and post the results.
    Sincerely,
    John Ostenda
    Columbia, SC 
  • jdotsr1
    Good Day, Thanks for your guidance.  I removed the wireless daughter board, needed to clear the update database, restarted, downloaded clean copy and it appears all is well.  Some updates are reported as failed, but I believe that may be due to an update sequencing issue.  The machines no longer try to do updates and stall at 83%, so I'm calling it a fix.  Thanks again Gomtuu for your guidance.
    Sincerely,
    John Ostenda
    Columbia, SC