My microphone mutes itself

lezlies
lezlies Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer Aspire E5-575.  My microphone mutes itself after I unmute it in microphone properties.  I have the properties box open, unmute it, then a few minutes later it mutes itself.  I get an error message when I join a Skype call saying my microphone "is muted on the desktop".  The microphone also doesn't work in Hang Outs so it isn't a Skype problem, but I'm hoping the error message is useful.  Any suggestions?  My computer was kidnapped at a convention I was at last weekend to show video.  The sound was connected to the outside speaker via the headphone jack.  The problem started this week so maybe this set off the problem.

Answers

• Ganu0406
    Ganu0406 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

I understand that microphone on your laptop keeps muting by itself.

Please try the steps mentioned below.

1. Right click the speaker icon on lower right of your computer. (Near date / time)
    2. Select "Recording Devices" from the pop-up options.
    3. The "Sound" control pop-up window will display on the "Recording" tab.
    4. Select the "Communications" tab.
    5. For the question: "When Windows detects communications activity:", answer with: "Do nothing".
    6. Select "Apply"

7. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self adjusts. 
    8. If the problem is solved, close all pop-ups, enjoy. If problem persists, try the following:

9. Click the "Recording" tab of the "Sound" pop-up window.
    10. Right click the used microphone and select "Properties".
    11. Select the "Advanced" tab within the new pop-up window.
    12. In the "Exclusive Mode" section, uncheck the following option: "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
    13. Click the "Apply" button.

14. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self-adjusts.

Hope this helps

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

• homeschooling4
    homeschooling4 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have attempted all this with my laptop and it is still saying microphone is muted. I have used this laptop to teach online for the past 6 months and all of a sudden it is saying microphone is muted. It pops up as an error code in my camera when I go to see if it is working 0xAOOF429D
  • homeschooling4
    homeschooling4 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I was trying to delete previous comment but it won't let me after configuring and playing with the different things I have unmuted my mic