Acer Extensa 5630EZ Quad Core Compatibility

Options
LUISMXC
LUISMXC Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, does anyone know if a Q9100 / Q9000 is compatible with Acer Extensa 5630EZ (GM45 chipset)? Thanks!

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Your mainboard supports dual core only. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1.3v is the maximum CPU voltage spec that the mainboard is designed to handle. So if your new Q9100 has specs of 1.3v or less, and fits a 478-pn P socket, your mainboard might not be damaged by trying it out but not 100% guaranteed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Jack E/NJ

• LUISMXC

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Oh no =(. I've just ordered yesterday a Q9100 from eBay. I'll guess I'll give it a try anyway. I thought the Bios also suported quad cores...
  • JackE
    Options
    @LUISMXC >>> I'll guess I'll give it a try anyway>>>

That's the spirit! Ii's a 478-pin P socket up to 1.3V. If you see or smell smoke, it's probably incompatible. :o  Good luck! Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• LUISMXC

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    @LUISMXC >>> I'll guess I'll give it a try anyway>>>

That's the spirit! Ii's a 478-pin P socket up to 1.3V. If you see or smell smoke, it's probably incompatible. :o  Good luck! Jack E/NJ 

Sorry I didn't understand the part about the voltage?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1.3v is the maximum CPU voltage spec that the mainboard is designed to handle. So if your new Q9100 has specs of 1.3v or less, and fits a 478-pn P socket, your mainboard might not be damaged by trying it out but not 100% guaranteed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LUISMXC

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:

1.175V is the maximum voltage for the Q9100, so I'll give it a try =). Thanks
  • JackE
    Options
     If it seems to work, you should check msinfo32 and taskmgr to see how many cores are used. Good luck! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tomagion1892
    tomagion1892 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    LUISMXC said:
    JackE said:

1.175V is the maximum voltage for the Q9100, so I'll give it a try =). Thanks
    Hi @LUISMXC

I’m looking at exactly this mod for my Extensa 5630EZ, mainly because I want to upgrade the original Pentium Dual Core T4300 CPU to add the VT-x extension for Hyper-V support on the laptop, which is running Windows 10 2004 build.  This is mainly for the new Windows Terminal app, plus Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2).

I’m hoping you can tell me what your experience of fitting the Pentium Q9100 was, and where there any issues that would stop you trying this again?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    This site shows none of the quad core processors as working with the Gl40 Express Chipset.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tomagion1892
    tomagion1892 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    This site shows none of the quad core processors as working with the Gl40 Express Chipset.

I decided to not take the risk and instead upgraded my Extensa 5630EZ from its original T4500 cpu to the newer T9300 cpu, which had the Intel VT-x virtualisation extensions.  As I found out later, the Intel Penryn cpu line don’t carry the VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT), which is Intel’s implication of (SLAT), which is required if you want to run Hyper-V on Windows 10.

plus side for an old laptop is that the T9300 has made my Extensa 5630EZ significantly faster, even considering its limited RAM capacity of 4GB.  

So, I’m happy with that. Also, the CPU upgrade took about 20 minutes.  So job well done.

more info on T9300 here... https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/33917/intel-core-2-duo-processor-t9300-6m-cache-2-50-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html?wapkw=T9300
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good to know, thanks for the update.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.