Acer Aspire V5-121 Restore and UEFI Problems

Options
allrounder55
allrounder55 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
A friend of mine has windows 8.1 which is running very slowly. Ive tried to factory restore which didnt work. It couldnt find the recovery partition which is there. I created a bootable usb drive with windows 10 with the partiton in gpt mode for uefi as this is what the hard drive is setup on. When i put the usb drive in a port the display pixelates and becomes distorted it doesnt boot. So i then changed to legacy mode which actually boots after formatting the usb drive  etc. After setting up the hard disk by removing all the existing partitions and making the drive as unallocated space. Windows creates a partition and carries on to install then at 47% it fails saying the files cannot be found  on the installation media. Ive emailed acer over this i have never in my life had an issue as bad as this. Is this a bad bios or is the hard drive corrupted? Why will it not boot off the uefi usb drive why does it pixelate when the usb stick is put into a port? Its that bad i am going to have to try another hard drive. Would flashing the bios help?

Comments

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Have you tried creating a bootable drive with Windows 8.1? If not , create a bootable USB with Windows 8.1 and try a repair install, then try updating to Windows 10.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8
    https://www.eightforums.com/threads/repair-install-windows-8.26095/
  • allrounder55
    Options
    the hard drive has all the partitions erased now. It will not repair. I have tried booting from uefi in windows 8,10,7 it will not boot f12 doesn't work either I have enabled to boot from usb hdd in the bios but the screen scrambles. I just do not know what to do now even legacy mode fails too.
  • allrounder55
    Options
    but thanks for the help and advice  ill keep trying.
  • allrounder55
    Options
    ive downloaded the 8.1 image just creating a uefi bootable usb drive now. i doubt this will boot the others didnt my only hope now is legacy with 8.1 Ive never come across this problem before. Usually when you boot off a usb in uefi it detects the drive then sets up the partitions that are required.Im not even getting that far it just scrambles the screen or sits at the acer logo in uefi mode.
  • allrounder55
    Options
    didnt work in ntfs or fat 32 for uefi so no choice now ill have to get an os on , in legacy mode then im going to flash the bios.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    You could try creating the bootable USB with Rufus, if you haven't used it already, try a clean install with the method in the tutorial.
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html
  • allrounder55
    Options
    I tried rufus, that didnt work. ive managed it now. I took the hard drive out and installed into a dell i have used a windows 10 64 bit dvd setup in the bios for uefi booted no problems set up the partitions and installed until it restarted. Switched off then put back in the acer  booted up and  updating as we speak. I still think the bios in this acer has gone skew wiff. At least its sorted.
  • allrounder55
    Options
    every version of windows in uefi mode didnt work. It didnt give me an option  for f12 to choose the uefi but the dell did. I like dells not keen on these acers first one ive done  horrible.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    I tried rufus, that didnt work. ive managed it now. I took the hard drive out and installed into a dell i have used a windows 10 64 bit dvd setup in the bios for uefi booted no problems set up the partitions and installed until it restarted. Switched off then put back in the acer  booted up and  updating as we speak. I still think the bios in this acer has gone skew wiff. At least its sorted.
    Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting your results =)
  • BLANDONMIL18
    BLANDONMIL18 Member Posts: 0 Newbie
    Options
    Tengo problemas de booteo de una laptop Acer aspire v5 121 no me deja bootear le puse contraseña en la opción supervisor y nada no me deja cuando configuro la bios que arranque con la USB no me reconoce la USB en modo gpt para uefi con runfus y nada e probado varias opciones con f12 me reconoce el pendrive cuando le doy enter hace intento a cargar el sistema operativo de la USB pero me sale un mensaje tipo cmd x:system32 y no pasa se esa ventana alguien que me ayude se lo agradecería mucho