Has anyone been able to run Linux on Acer Aspire TC-780-ACKi3 desktop?

Options
LinuxKat
LinuxKat Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 in a partition on my Acer Aspire TC-780-ACKi3 desktop, but I cannot get the computer to recognize the Linux operating system.  It continues to boot to Windows 10 only.  Why does the computer recognize and install from the Ubuntu live usb stick, but fail to recognize the operating system it installs?  I have tried it with Secure boot on, and again with Secure boot off, but neither approach works.  

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Try disabling secure boot and then read the post by @IronFly in the link below.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/466316/dual-boot-windows10-ubuntu16-10#latest

Make sure you backup you important personal files and create a USB factory recovery drive before attempting.

https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38145/~/windows-10:-create-a-usb-recovery-drive-using-acer-care-center
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • LinuxKat
    LinuxKat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JordanB.  Your advice about  a recovery disk is very good, and what I thought of immediately when I read the idea of modifying the path for boot manager in Window$,    As things stand now, if I send boot manager down the wrong path, I won't be able to boot anything!

I'd like to find some way to fix this that doesn't involve going into one operating system and begging it to load a different one.  That may be what I'll have to do, but I'm hoping to find another way.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options
    The best way is to leave the Windows partition alone completely and install Grub on the Linux partition then make that the default boot. If you want you can change the default on Grub to Windows. Then you can turn power on and if you do nothing it will boot Windows by default. Or not.
  • ithalord
    ithalord Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    LinuxKat said:
    JordanB.  Your advice about  a recovery disk is very good, and what I thought of immediately when I read the idea of modifying the path for boot manager in Window$,    As things stand now, if I send boot manager down the wrong path, I won't be able to boot anything!

I'd like to find some way to fix this that doesn't involve going into one operating system and begging it to load a different one.  That may be what I'll have to do, but I'm hoping to find another way.

Have you fixed this?