How do i fix my computer?

Options
RichardKnowsABit
RichardKnowsABit Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
My Acer Laptop is slow with an i5 processor. It had a virus long ago and I lost my data but managed to download all the security software AVG McAfee CCCleaner and many more. Since then my laptops takes from 5mins to 1 hour to show the acer booting sign. It also goes a bit slow as I said since the Virus my laptop came with Windows 8 then I upgraded it to windows 8.1 after 1 year I got windows 10, no difference my laptop got the virus on Windows 8 sometime round July 2 years ago. Please who ever can help please sugest anything. I will reply ASAP

Answers

• RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    My Bios is V2.13
  • RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    Its an Acer Aspire E1-571
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Options
    Suggest trying to remove all non-Microsoft virus & malware scanners. Windows defender is all you need plus an occasional scan with a stand-alone scanner like McAfee's Stinger if you suspect infections. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Options
    keeping more than 2 antivirus would ultimately slow down the unit performance. I suggest you to uninstall any one of the anti-virus software. this would improve the boot time.
    secondly, disable startup apps from task manager. ( Hold Ctrl + Shift + Alt to launch task manager, select startup and disable unnecessary apps )
    Finally clear the temp and cache of your device 
    Steps to clear the temp and cache.
    1. Hold Win + R - type pretech
    2. Clear all the files 
    3. once done with step 2 Hold Win + R - type %temp%
    4. clear all the files.
    This would improve the boot time
  • RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    keeping more than 2 antivirus would ultimately slow down the unit performance. I suggest you to uninstall any one of the anti-virus software. this would improve the boot time.
    secondly, disable startup apps from task manager. ( Hold Ctrl + Shift + Alt to launch task manager, select startup and disable unnecessary apps )
    Finally clear the temp and cache of your device 
    Steps to clear the temp and cache.
    1. Hold Win + R - type pretech
    2. Clear all the files 
    3. once done with step 2 Hold Win + R - type %temp%
    4. clear all the files.
    This would improve the boot time
    JackE said:
    Suggest trying to remove all non-Microsoft virus & malware scanners. Windows defender is all you need plus an occasional scan with a stand-alone scanner like McAfee's Stinger if you suspect infections. Jack E/NJ

I tried everything and also left only 1 antivirus but still nothing. my computer turns hot when it turns off randomly if I dident say is it the fan or hardware ?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> tried everything and also left only 1 antivirus but still nothing. my computer turns hot when it turns off randomly if I dident say is it the fan or hardware ?>>>

(1) How did you upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1? (2) To reduce heat & random shut down, try alternately vacuuming the air intake port and blowing thru the air exhaust ports a few times to dislodge dust and debris inside the case. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>> tried everything and also left only 1 antivirus but still nothing. my computer turns hot when it turns off randomly if I dident say is it the fan or hardware ?>>>

(1) How did you upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1? (2) To reduce heat & random shut down, try alternately vacuuming the air intake port and blowing thru the air exhaust ports a few times to dislodge dust and debris inside the case. Jack E/NJ

I updated it I think through the store cuz it was free or through an iso and I entered a brought key. Also its hot only on the left side and thecover for the fan on the left is not there. There is minimal air blowing as well. I blew and It fixed the slowing down and not to close for only 3 hrs
  • RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    Thx for taking time out of ur day and helping me @JackE
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I updated it I think through the store cuz it was free or through an iso and I entered a brought key.>>>

Did you keep the Win8.1 iso or did you make a Win8.1 image before you changed to Win10? Win10 and its major updates are causing many issues with even on newer machines. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    No, after I got windows 8.1 it was smooth 4 1 day then it was bugging out so I fresh restored it to windows 10, my iso is gone.
    JackE said:
    >>>I updated it I think through the store cuz it was free or through an iso and I entered a brought key.>>>

Did you keep the Win8.1 iso or did you make a Win8.1 image before you changed to Win10? Win10 and its major updates are causing many issues with even on newer machines. Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    >>>windows 8.1 >>>was smooth 4 1 day then it was bugging out so I fresh restored it to windows 10,>>>

Did Win10 ever make a difference? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    >>>windows 8.1 >>>was smooth 4 1 day then it was bugging out so I fresh restored it to windows 10,>>>

Did Win10 ever make a difference? Jack E/NJ

No it made no difference I mean it was fast for a week then the bugs started happening so I kept restoring my laptop which helped temporarily also my laptop starts buggy then goes nice and smooth and I think the i5 Processor starts working later. If I didn't say, my laptop had a virus in windows 8. It crypted all my files and my internet was FULL with ads. I managed to download McAfee using a usb with the instillation then I restored then upgraded it to windows 8.1
  • RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    Clicked by mistake FIXED pls its not FIXED

• JackE
    Options
    >>>Win10>>>was fast for a week>>>>

Do you still have any non-Microsoft antivirus or malware scanners installed? They must be completely removed in order to proceed any further. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes its only windows, I disabled Windows Search and my disk went from 100% to 5-30% it helped speed my laptop a lot!!

• RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    But it still takes ages so after the shutdown when I power it on it takes a long time for the acer loading screen to show up
  • JackE
    Options
    Go to power settings and enable the fast boot option. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• RichardKnowsABit

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm on windows 10 what do I press or go into. I cant find the option
  • JackE