Will I spoil the battery leaving the power on?

lasse
lasse Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi, I would like to know if I can let the power cable on full time on my Acer Aspire E5-521 15.6? I have seen once in the small window about power mode that it can turn off; but it has not been possible to see it again! Will I spoil the battery? brgds lam

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓

lasse 

Every battery can only sustain a finite number of charge and discharge cycles, after which it starts wearing off quickly.  

There’s no way to “overcharge” these batteries. When you get to 100% charge and leave your laptop plugged in, the charger will stop charging the battery. The laptop will just run directly off the power cable. After the battery discharges a bit, the charger will kick into gear again and top the battery off. There’s no risk of damaging the battery by charging it over its capacity.  

Having a battery fully discharged for an extended period can put it into a deep discharge state, from which it might never recover.  

Leaving your laptop plugged in will not cause short term damage, but if you only ever use it on AC power you’ll almost certainly find that after a year the battery’s capacity has been significantly reduced. Similarly, if you only ever use it on battery power you’ll get through the battery’s discharge cycles quicker.  

So, the best solution is something of a compromise between the two: use it on battery power some days, and keep it plugged in on others. And in all cases, you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t get too hot.  

Here's the weblink from Acer on how to charge and care for your battery 
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2384 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓

lasse 

Every battery can only sustain a finite number of charge and discharge cycles, after which it starts wearing off quickly.  

There’s no way to “overcharge” these batteries. When you get to 100% charge and leave your laptop plugged in, the charger will stop charging the battery. The laptop will just run directly off the power cable. After the battery discharges a bit, the charger will kick into gear again and top the battery off. There’s no risk of damaging the battery by charging it over its capacity.  

Having a battery fully discharged for an extended period can put it into a deep discharge state, from which it might never recover.  

Leaving your laptop plugged in will not cause short term damage, but if you only ever use it on AC power you’ll almost certainly find that after a year the battery’s capacity has been significantly reduced. Similarly, if you only ever use it on battery power you’ll get through the battery’s discharge cycles quicker.  

So, the best solution is something of a compromise between the two: use it on battery power some days, and keep it plugged in on others. And in all cases, you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t get too hot.  

Here's the weblink from Acer on how to charge and care for your battery 
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2384 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!