Can i use a DDR3 chip?

Wayne2018
Wayne2018 Member Posts: 12 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, I am currently looking to upgrade my RAM but I am unsure what I can use. I accidently bough a DDR3 although I was looking for a DDR3L. can I use the one I have purchased? I know that my laptop currently runs on DDR3L but I have no idea where to check to see if the laptop runs at 1.35v or 1.5v.

can anyone help me?

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Wayne2018 

It is recommended to use DDRL modules. DDR3L memory modules use 1.35V, instead of 1.5V. The use of higher voltage memory modules can cause issues with the system, including the system not detecting the RAM memory, or not powering on.

Basically you can use either. DDR3L is a dual voltage capable memory DIMM, which supports operation at both 1.5V and 1.35V. DDR3L is also pin-compatible with DDR3. So in this case the RAM will be running at 1.5 volts as your system does not offer a low voltage option.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Wayne2018
    Answer ✓
    How can I check if my system is running at 1.5 volts? It currently has a ddr3l installed and I don’t want to ruin my laptop.

thanks in advance

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Wayne2018 

It is recommended to use DDRL modules. DDR3L memory modules use 1.35V, instead of 1.5V. The use of higher voltage memory modules can cause issues with the system, including the system not detecting the RAM memory, or not powering on.

Basically you can use either. DDR3L is a dual voltage capable memory DIMM, which supports operation at both 1.5V and 1.35V. DDR3L is also pin-compatible with DDR3. So in this case the RAM will be running at 1.5 volts as your system does not offer a low voltage option.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Wayne2018
    Answer ✓
    How can I check if my system is running at 1.5 volts? It currently has a ddr3l installed and I don’t want to ruin my laptop.

thanks in advance