Acer Predator Helios 300 and VR

Tankat
Tankat Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Is there any way I can connect my Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop to a VR headset etc. And project what the player is seeing through the headset onto a TV and not just the laptop screen? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    Of course! Are you having problems mirroring the laptop screen on a TV? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lephi
    Lephi Member Posts: 4 New User
    I'm getting a compositor unavailable (400) and cannot find a working solution anywhere. I have the Helios 300 and have the linkbox's display port cable going into an HDMI to DP adapter and then then adapter going into the laptops hdmi port. I've also changed my default global settings for the video card to the nvidia. Please help :)
  • JackE
    Lephi Has this setup ever worked on your Helios or another laptop? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lephi
    No, this would be the first time. I don't know if this is relevant or not but I bought a vive pro for my pc and my mom liked it so much that she bought a laptop (this one) and a vive pro also. She installed steamvr on this laptop and is using my steam account...probably doesn't mean anything but should she have created her own steam account?
  • Lephi
    edited January 2019
    I'm also getting another error code when I start SteamVR: (306) Shared IPC Compositor Connect Failed. 
  • JackE
    What cables are you using? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Lephi
    From the linkbox there are the USB going into the laptop USB, the miniDP going into an HDMI to DP adapter with the HDMI side going into the laptop HDMI, and the linkbox's power going into the power outlet. And of course the other side of the linkbox has the cable going into the headset.
  • JackE
    First, if you haven't done it already, check your Mom's laptop for compatibility by downloading and running this file https://dl.vive.com/oobe/ViveCheck.exe

Next, if it passes, check the new cables either by substituting your own or testing them on another system, for example, see if the HDMI cable drives a TV set.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Projekt21
    Projekt21 Member Posts: 3 New User
    The laptop doesn't have natural hardware to be able to do it, since it can only do 1 HDMI out.  

There are some software workarounds, but each have their own issues.  What worked from me is using a Steam Link and broadcasting my gameplay to the Steam Link that's hooked up to my TV/projector.  Chromecasts were something I explored but I couldn't get it to work reliably, and most of the adapters/cables I bought didn't work either.  

Makes me want to sell this laptop and get another that has multiple display outputs.