E5 575G series drivers information

Options
poof
poof Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello.

I'd like to know what do the following Windows 10 drivers exactly do or add to my system:

-Chipset driver
-IO drivers (Apparently installed Intel RapidStorage Technology?)
-Turbo Boost driver

None of these appeared to add any new functionality or programs to my system. Now, Acer offers apparenly two kinds of versions for these drivers; drivers that are unlabeled and drivers that are labeled 'Kabylake', the latter are usually older (from 2016) than the non-Kabylake labeled drivers. I took the non-labeled ones even though my system has a Kaby Lake CPU since I thought newer is better and the drivers installed apparently fine, but could this be a problem and I should use the older ones?

Additionally, it seems like the Synaptics touchpad drivers provided by Acer for this system are apparently not functioning correctly. The driver does not install the usual Synaptics touchpad manager program into the advanced mouse settings and touchpad functionality is still apparently handled by Windows. Touchpad setting is set to 'Enhanced' in BIOS which is the latest version, 1.32. Windows recogninizes the touchpad as a 'HID-compliant mouse' which location is 'on a L2C HID device'. This device's driver provider is Microsoft and not Synaptics. Can anyone else confirm this oddity?

Thank you for any help.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    poof 

Chipset drivers are software instructions that tell Windows how to properly communicate and work with your motherboard and the small subsystems on it, 
     IO drivers are needed by typical devices such as are keyboards, touchpad, audio controllers, video controllers, disk drives, networking ports, and so on.
    Turbo boost accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they're operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.

Most of the drivers are installed by windows 10 itself. For touchpad issue you may open device manager and select the ''HID-compliant mouse' and try to roll back the driver.

Also, go to .BIOS screen > select the Main menu > Scroll down to Touchpad and press Enter > Select Advanced or Basic and press Enter > Press F10 to Save and Exit >Press Enter to confirm the changes and reboot the computer

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• poof
    poof Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

So the IO drivers are basically useless since Windows already comes with the generic drivers for most systems? Also this is the first time I've heard a Intel Core processor needs a software driver for it's Turbo Boost functionality, which is usually hardware and BIOS controlled, is this one really necessary for it to function properly?

For the touchpad, I guess I can attempt to roll back the driver, IIRC I tried to install the driver via the "Update driver" button is device manager, but it didn't change anyting. As I already stated, the touchpad functionality is set to 'Advanced' in the BIOS, as it should be.
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

poof 

Driver updates for Windows 10 and many devices such as network adapters, monitors, printers, and video cards are automatically downloaded and installed through Windows Update. 

While it's likely you already have the most recent driver, if you're having trouble with a device, you can try fixing it by updating the driver or reinstalling it. If Windows doesn't find a new driver, you can try looking for one on the support website and installing the drivers.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!