Problem booting an Acer Aspire VN7 791.

unleashedesx
unleashedesx Member Posts: 10 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello guys,

Well, I have a problem with a computer I bought on eBay, basically for "parts". It came without RAM, without BIOS battery, without SSD and without Hard drive, basically just the rest. I got it because I have had another Acer Aspire VN7 791 till this moment and I really like it. (That as the background)

Thing is, I decided to complete it, since I already had 8GB of extra RAM (The stock RAM from the machine I currently use). So I just bought an Hard drive (Seagate Barracuda of 1TB) and the windows 8.1.

I put everything inside, including a new 3V battery for the configuration of the BIOS, turned it up and here was the issue... I got that "black screen" that so many people talk about, just that a little bit differently... In my case, when the computer goes on, and it shows the black screen, after 30 seconds, the computer shuts down and restarts itself after 10 seconds more or less, to repeat the process.

I have read a lot of posts about this "black screen", but I have not seen a case where this restarting cycle happens. I have tried to reset the BIOS, swap the RAM, Hold the FN + EsC, but the BIOS just does not enter in BIOS recovery mode, there is no response (Since I got another Flash drive with the BIOS patch), connected to an external monitor, with no results.

I got the Barracuda hard drive, and installed the new Windows without problem on the other machine, just to have the Windows ready to run, but the same exact problem persists with no change whatsoever.

Is there something really basic I am overlooking here? Or is it a problem with the mother board? (And if it is a problem with the mother board, there is a way I can do to fix it? I recently moved to a country without Acer support and I my idea was to let this computer running for my nephews, I know a little bit of electronics, so if there is still something I could do, please let me know)

Thanks a lot for reading so far and apologies in advance for such long explanation.

Regards,

Eduardo.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

>>>Or is it a problem with the mother board? >>>
    >>>(1) To use a USB with LED indicator. But it never showed any activity. >>>

Sorry, a bad sign for the mainboard. BIOS chip is probably physically damaged.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    >>> Hold the FN + EsC, but the BIOS just does not enter in BIOS recovery mode>>>

How did you make the crisis usb drive to flash the BIOS chip? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• unleashedesx
    I got the BIOS_Acer_1.10_A_A from the webpage and kept it along side its extracted files inside an empty USB 2.0 flash drive.

• JackE
    USB stick must be FAT32 formatted. Only the .FD file must be in its root. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• unleashedesx
    Let me try it again and I will let you know. =)

PS: Is that you in the profile picture you are using?
  • JackE
    Yes in my Moyes LiteSpeed. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• unleashedesx
    That is pretty cool! Must feel great...

Ehmmm, I just came back, and the computer is still restarting without loading the BIOS. Tried in both 3.0 and 2.0 USB ports with no difference.

Just to clarify how I do and what happens:
    1.- Unplug the AC-DC adapter.
    2.- Hold Fn + Esc keys.
    3.- Plug the AC-DC adapter.
    4.- Computer Turns On by itself while showing the black screen.
    5.- Release the Fn + Esc keys after 10-15 seconds.
    6.- Computer Turns Off by itself after ~30 seconds.
    7.- Computer Turns On by itself after ~5 seconds.
    8.- Computer keeps repeating the steps 6 and 7.

But now I can see something new that I have not seen before. If I keep the computer connected to the AC-DC adapter, after I manually turned it off through the long press of the power button. When I keep the Fn + Esc keys and Turn the computer On, the keyboard lights goes on as the computer starts but then the light goes Off for a couple of seconds to go On again and repeat the restarting as before. (Very small detail)

Man this is so weird hahaha.

Eduardo.

• JackE
    Eduardo  >>>5.- Release the Fn + Esc keys after 10-15 seconds.>>>

Do you have an activity light on the stick? Don't release Fn+Esc till you see LED activity. If no apparent LED activity after about a minute, the chip's bootblock might be damaged or the wrong flash filename. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• unleashedesx
    But I think that the issue is with the restarting cycle, I have kept it pressed for 10, 15, 20 or 25 seconds and the computer just keep restarting, giving me the impression than that issue overwrites any other process.
  • unleashedesx
    But I think that the issue is with the restarting cycle, I have kept it pressed for 10, 15, 20 or 25 seconds and the computer just keep restarting, giving me the impression than that issue overwrites any other process.
  • JackE
    Do you see any LED activity at all on the USB stick with Fn+ESC to prove the BIOS bootblock is trying to read it? What is the name of the .FD file you're trying to flash with? This seems like a low-level BiOS firmware or chip issue. I suggest that you remove the new CMOS cell. Then short out its terminals on the mainboard to fully discharge and hopefully re-set the chip to its default state. Then re-inset the cell and try it again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• unleashedesx
    I do not have a USB stick with activity indicator, I will try to find one and do what you said.

The name of the file is "TMBI110s.fd".

• unleashedesx
    Wow, I got lost for quite some time.... Sorry for not updating on what happened, have been kinda busy lately and just left this thing completely forgotten.

Anyway, I did that, and still got no response, BUT I realized I forgot to mention something extremely important, the noises the computer makes trying to boot. Which could tell someone who knows, what could be happening here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15ra8kURFtemAUoUimG4WOt4wSukbSnve

Hope the link does work.
  • JackE
    >>> I did that, and still got no response>>>

(1) Did what? (2) Could you describe the boot noise as I couldn't use the link? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• unleashedesx
    (1) To use a USB with LED indicator. But it never showed any activity.

(2) 3 Quick electronic sounds as the computer turns on (High low high). Hmmmm I hope this other link works this time... https://soundcloud.com/polarisdesu/acer-aspire

• JackE
    Answer ✓

>>>Or is it a problem with the mother board? >>>
    >>>(1) To use a USB with LED indicator. But it never showed any activity. >>>

Sorry, a bad sign for the mainboard. BIOS chip is probably physically damaged.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• unleashedesx
    I see, thanks for the info, I had that impression seeing a couple of those BIOS chips going around on sale pages.