Installation cd

millturn
millturn Member Posts: 7 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
My laptop will not boot to win7, keeps going to the DOS menu to boot in repair mode, but does not boot any way. I thought a bootable usb drive might work but according to the instructions to make that on my other computer i need the original installation cd, and it did not come with one or have misplaced it. Is there any suggestions that might help?

Answers

• millturn
    I left out that I was using the laptop when it shut itself down to install updates then never rebooted.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    What is your ACER model number. If it came with Windows 7 from the factory, you can probably re-set the machine to a factory-fresh state by shutting the machine completely off. Then turn it back on and immediately press & hold the ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should come up and follow the directions on that. If the recovery screen doesn't appear, then shut the machine off again. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS setup menu. Then chose the MAIN tab and enable D2D recovery. Press F10 to save settings and exit. Then shut the machine off again, and re-try the ALT+F10 re-set procedure. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• millturn
    Thank you for the info jackE, my model no. Is V5WE2
  • JackE
    If it came from the factory with Win7 installed, please try the ALT+F10 coldboot re-set procedure described in my earlier post. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• millturn
    jackE
    I happened to find an installation disc of win7 home premium 64 bit from another pc I have, can that be used to boot my laptop that has the same system?
    And what is the best way to do it.
  • millturn
    I have tried to install win7 with cd and am i continouse loop of it restarting and when i hit install or repair it restarts and keeps doing it over and over.
  • millturn
    I am wondering if my problem is that before i put the install disc in i changed my bios to boot from cd?
  • JackE
    Unfortunately, the activation/installation of Win7 from another PC is tied to the serial number of that PC if it came from the factory. So while you might get it to install, it can't be activated. If it was a purchased generic full Win7 installation version then it can only be used on one machine at a time.  You probably can still purchase the ACER Win7 recovery media that is specific to your V5WE2  by tuning to the link below and entering your machine Serial No. ID (SNID). Price is about $40 for a recovery DVD or USB stick. Jack E/NJ

https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

Jack E/NJ

• millturn
    Thanx again for the info jackE but right now i am in the middle of the process you originally told me about and redoing it from D2D. Thanx again
  • JackE
    Great! The ALT+F10 D2D process is the best way if you can get it to work. Good luck. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ