How do I stop "start to experience acer byoc apps and services"

jjnonken
jjnonken Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
This pops up on my laptop every time I boot. 

I've done a search and found several threads on this forum which describe a solution: uninstall [Acer Portal] and [AOP Framework]. 

Unfortunately they're not installed on my computer, so I went for plan B, which is: install them from 
https://www.cloud.acer.com/ops/downloads, and then uninstall them.

Except that web page just tells me they've been discontinued and gives instructions for uninstalling. Which is great, except they're not installed.

So apparently there's no way to stop my computer from doing this. ...Only, there has to be something somewhere. So please tell me how to stop this useless message telling me to experience a wonderful utility that Acer has stopped making.

Thank you.

Answers

• jjnonken
    The program that's running at startup is C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4\Acer Porta\AcerPortal.exe. I cannot rename it; it requires "System" permissions. I only have Administrator permissions.

Apparently I don't own this computer, I only rent it. I live and die at the whim of Microsoft and Acer.
  • jjnonken
    edited March 2018
    Typo in the last comment, it's C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4\Acer Portal\AcerPortal.exe and YMMV.

I used 
    https://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot/download to rename the executable, but of course after I rebooted I got an error screen saying it couldn't find the program. Aside from gaining a modicum of grim smugness, that's not really much better.

So I'm trying to find what is trying to execute it; failing that, I might try to substitute an executable that does nothing.

[later] Nope. Everything I've tried pops up a "parameter is incorrect", including two different programs that do not care what parameters they're passed, if any.

Not that would have been a solution in any case, but merely a work-around. Acer, please tell me how to get rid of this. I don't see anything obvious in the registry, nor in msconfig. 

In case this is in question, it's an Acer Nitro AN515-51-504A running the supplied Windows 10 Home. Since Acer utilities keep bugging me I've uninstalled everything named "Acer" in Programs and Features, which apparently wasn't very effective.
  • jjnonken
    I found an e-mail that contained this link: 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/byoc-consumer?utm_source=lifecyclebyoc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gettingstarted

That allows me to install the BYOC apps. If I install abFiles, for instance, the popup goes away.

Unfortunately if I uninstall abFiles and the AOC Portal, the prompt comes back. If I don't, I need to log into my Acer account (not a problem in and of itself at this time), but it also bugs me about setting up other aspects of the service. In other words, once installed, it wants to be used. Like many modern apps, instead of just letting me do my own thing, it wants to be my Best Buddy and keeps giving me prompts, popups, advice, tips, suggestions, helpful reminders, and whatever else I don't want it doing.

Another thing it does is chew up resources on my computer. I don't need it chewing up resources on my computer. I don't want more attack vectors on my computer. I want this to go away, and I want it to stay away. I don't want the computer I paid for to be a free advertising medium for Acer or anybody else, especially when the product that's being advertised is no longer available.

Acer wants me to uninstall the service, but if I do, it keeps bugging me to install it. WTF, Acer?

All the other forum advice I've found -- including and especially the multiple duplicate boilerplate answers from Acer -- are about installing the apps to make the prompt go away.

Find, make, or tell me a way to remove this, please, Acer.

I just wish I'd known about this before I got my computer all set up. I'd have downloaded a clean Windows install disc, required hardware drivers, wiped out the original installation and rolled my own. This is as bad as all the uninstallable app nonsense you get on cell phones. Worse, because at least there I can suppress notifications.
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Hi,

even i had same issue and i tried to uninstall anything that is associated with acer portal. ex: Acer portal, AOP framework, ab files, ab photos, ab music etc.. i'am positive that this should resolve this issue.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Haikal
    Haikal Member Posts: 1 New User
    jjnonken said:
    I found an e-mail that contained this link: 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/byoc-consumer?utm_source=lifecyclebyoc&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gettingstarted

That allows me to install the BYOC apps. If I install abFiles, for instance, the popup goes away.

Unfortunately if I uninstall abFiles and the AOC Portal, the prompt comes back. If I don't, I need to log into my Acer account (not a problem in and of itself at this time), but it also bugs me about setting up other aspects of the service. In other words, once installed, it wants to be used. Like many modern apps, instead of just letting me do my own thing, it wants to be my Best Buddy and keeps giving me prompts, popups, advice, tips, suggestions, helpful reminders, and whatever else I don't want it doing.

Another thing it does is chew up resources on my computer. I don't need it chewing up resources on my computer. I don't want more attack vectors on my computer. I want this to go away, and I want it to stay away. I don't want the computer I paid for to be a free advertising medium for Acer or anybody else, especially when the product that's being advertised is no longer available.

Acer wants me to uninstall the service, but if I do, it keeps bugging me to install it. WTF, Acer?

All the other forum advice I've found -- including and especially the multiple duplicate boilerplate answers from Acer -- are about installing the apps to make the prompt go away.

Find, make, or tell me a way to remove this, please, Acer.

I just wish I'd known about this before I got my computer all set up. I'd have downloaded a clean Windows install disc, required hardware drivers, wiped out the original installation and rolled my own. This is as bad as all the uninstallable app nonsense you get on cell phones. Worse, because at least there I can suppress notifications.

Hi, I'm having similar problem. Do you find any solution because by far I haven't.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I believe these are the components of abFiles that you might have to clear in order the stop the behavior. Look for other Acer byoc app entries nearby:

Scheduled Task (Boot/Login)
    • abFilesTrayIcon.exe is automatically launched at startup through a scheduled task named RemoteFilesTrayIcon.
    Startup File (User Run)
    • abFilesTrayIcon.exe is loaded in the current user (HKCU) registry as an auto-starting executable named 'RemoteFilesTrayIcon' and executes as "C:\Program Files\Acer\abFiles\abFilesTrayIcon.exe" --hideUI.
    Startup File (All Users Run)
    • abFilesTrayIcon.exe is loaded in the all users (HKLM) registry as a startup file name 'RemoteFilesTrayIcon' which loads as "C:\Program Files\Acer\abFiles\abFilesTrayIcon.exe" --hideUI.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.