Aspire (R3-131T-C1YF)

bystrouska
bystrouska Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
Almost from the day one I started getting messages from Windows 10 that it needed a security update but the laptop doesn't have enough space to do it.   It has only 30GB hard drive and it came with 24GB pre-loaded software so there is a very little space left.  I did my best to remove all pre-loaded applications that I thought were not necessary but it still was not enough.  I keep getting a message that it needs 8GB do to the update but that it's not available.   This message comes up frequently and freezes my computer in the middle of what ever I am doing and I have to spend time removing it so that I could continue.   I eventually called technical support, spent at least 2 hours on the phone with them but they couldn't help me.  Clearly, the software and hardware do not match.  If any of you have an advice on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Veronika

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    bystrouska 

The quickest way to clear space in Windows is to run Microsoft’s built-in Disk Clean-up utility, or an alternative such as CCleaner Free, Microsoft’s Disk Clean-up utility can safely delete hidden system files. Click the button that says “Clean up system files” for the option to delete various files including “Previous Windows Installation(s)”. 

Next, go back to the Storage page and click on your C: drive. Windows 10 will scan your 32GB and tell you how much space you have free.  

Though the disk cleanup method basically deletes every insignificant junk files and help regain some disk space, you need a manual deletion of this update installation files, which will definitely release several GBs of storage for you. 

Step 1. In the search box in Windows 10, type cmd and Command Prompt should appear in the result. Right click on it and choose Run as administrator. 

Step 2. In the Command Prompt window, type the commands and press Enter after each: 

net stop wuauserv 
    net stop bits 

Now follow the path C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Open the SoftwareDistribution folder and delete everything inside, not including the folder itself. 

Step 4. Return to the Command Prompt, now type the other two commands and press Enter after each: 

net start wuauserv 
    net start bits 

Finally, you can open File Explorer, right click on the C: drive, select properties, and check the box for disk compression. According to Microsoft when done (takes a while) that should reduce the disk space by 1.5GB (-x86) to 2.5GB (-64)

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Globetrotter89
    Globetrotter89 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey,
    i've basically the same problem ( just my device isn't freezing, it just slows down a bit until i delete the notifcation ) + i've done the usuall clean up things and the "cmd part" from sharanji ( which btw didn't do much as far as i can see here )^^ and i'm still just around the 3-4gb space on c: and there is also no (for me) useless stuff on it.
    I think about to reinstall windows if that would be an option? or just give a ***** and turn off the update notifaction^^
    If anyone has another option, please... and thanks:)