Full Fan Control for A517-51G

MNabeel
MNabeel Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Got an Aspire A517-51G that heats up a lot during gaming. The fans do run higher at full load, but they still sound like they're running at 40-50%, while the space above the keyboard feels hot to the touch.
Is there any way I can directly control my fan speed here? I searched everywhere online and there aren't even 3rd-party programs that support this laptop's fans.
As long as my PC runs cooler, I don't care about fan noise.

P.S I'm also curious about safely unlocking the i5-8250u in my A517. I'm convinced it's bottlenecking the MX150 in my system and I wanna make sure they can work at their best, equally.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    Mine feels warm not hot. The internal controller arguably does a better job than any 3rd party app like SpeedFan. You may not care about noise. But a lot of folks do and try to over-ride the built-in controller sometimes causing CPU failuires. The chart below shows what temperatures your built in fan controller is supposed to respond to. As for overclocking the CPU, a sure way to heat things up more than normal. Not recommended. How are you convinced that it's a bottleneck? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MNabeel
    MNabeel Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'm referring to this earlier thread by Siddhar1h:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/540821/i5-8250u-locks-to-1600mhz-while-gaming-csgo

The frame-rate drops he saw with the i5-8250u happened when to me too when I was playing Revelations Online.
    I'd get 50 FPS average for a while, then get drop to less than 10 FPS regardless of what's happening on screen.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,837 Trailblazer
    The only thing you can try is to make your own high performance power plan to see what happens. If that doesn't resolve the issue then  your on your own trying to overclock the I5. If it was mine and ***convinced*** the i5 was the bottleneck, it'd be safer and probably cheaper in the long run to go with the quad i7. But I'm not convinced, so I wouldn't do it ---- if it was mine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ