How to disable Acer Norton advertising?

ttf612
ttf612 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Before you ask, this doesn't seem to be spyware.  Acer has sent a windows notification recommending me to install Norton on startup, and just now has also done a similar pop-under window with the same thing.  How do I stop this? Must I uninstall everything with the word Acer in it?  Quite upset, as a customer to be treated this way.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    What ACER model number do you have?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ttf612
    ttf612 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, sorry for the late reply.  I've only returned because it's done it again, except for Amazon this time!  It turns out it was a program called Acer Jumpstart, which gives ads via the windows notifications (every year or so it seems).

I can't seem to find the exact model number, where I purchased it from called it a
    "Acer 15.6" FHD Gaming Laptop Core i5 7200U 8GB RAM 256GB SSD 1TB HDD GTX 950M" , so maybe it's a :

E5-575G-57A4

from a quick google search?

Regardless, the model shouldn't matter.  I'm fairly disgusted that Acer not only installs bloatware, but straight up spyware/malware as well. How are we supposed to tell what Acer software actually improves the functionality of our computer and what ones serve you ads?  Will never recommend Acer again, despite having done so in the past.

• JackE
    I suggest that you disable and then uninstall any non-Microsoft anti-virus or anti-malware software you might have running. Then download and try to run a full scan with the standalone McAfee Stinger freeware. Jack E/NJ

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.html

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/free-tools.html

Jack E/NJ

• mchristinafreeman
    mchristinafreeman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Stinger is to remove virus. This is not a virus, is a version of Norton Antivirus. I manage to uninstall, but, somehow, there is a hidden app that keeps coming to remind me to download the new version. This is so annoying, I don't want to use Norton Antivirus.  
  • JackE
    Please show screenshot of download message. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ