16GB Ram only 7,5 usable after New Installation and BIOS Update

macanroe
macanroe Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello@all

I have since yesterday a strange Problem. Aspire E5-553 ( 16Gb RAM) 
After a new Installation of Windows 10 (Single Language) and an Update of the BIOS  ( Ver. 1.16) i dont have access to my total amount of RAM. It shows me only 7,5 usable. My 16Gb Ram in the BIOS and on Windows showed up. I didnt had this Situation before. Ill tried several things that you can do, for exmaple the thing with msconfig ( advanced options) etc. Nothin really works. Could it be that my Powerplan is making a conflict? I also use now a Amazon USB Adapter with an own powersupply. 

I dont know what i can do right now.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓
    macanroe 

Thanks for posting the image of task manager. I see that the reserved is 8.5GB. (available) and 7.5 GB(available).
    I think that should answer all questions. its reserved until you need it. so if your PC for Whatever reasons need the extra 8GB it will use it and access the reserved RAM. so no need to worry you are all good.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Could you please remove the memory modules one by one, wipe the contact points with a soft cloth and reinstall them.
  • Sharanji
    macanroe 

Open your task manager, go into performance, tap on "memory" and post the screenshot here.

At the bottom click open resource monitor, and select the tab Memory, you will see that your OS has it reserved, but you may think why, well since your system sees that it has 16 GB of RAM, your system alone will not use 16 GB ever, on its own or idle, of course, you'll get up there if your gaming and running server at the same time etc, or running video programming stuff.

When it says "useable" that equals "available" meaning the other 8.05GB of RAM are being utilized by the OS, where needed. The other 7.95GB of RAM are in reserve more or less. Windows reserves this to be used only when necessary.

• macanroe

Tinkerer

Here is the screenshot of my taskmanager! Hope it is useful

• macanroe

Tinkerer

Sharanji said:
    macanroe 

Open your task manager, go into performance, tap on "memory" and post the screenshot here.

At the bottom click open resource monitor, and select the tab Memory, you will see that your OS has it reserved, but you may think why, well since your system sees that it has 16 GB of RAM, your system alone will not use 16 GB ever, on its own or idle, of course, you'll get up there if your gaming and running server at the same time etc, or running video programming stuff.

When it says "useable" that equals "available" meaning the other 8.05GB of RAM are being utilized by the OS, where needed. The other 7.95GB of RAM are in reserve more or less. Windows reserves this to be used only when necessary.

Thanks for your Response. Well it make Sense waht you said. For some strange Reason, yesterday i restarted my ACER and it has magically  all the 16 Gb availabe/ usable. After another Restart, it was 8,5 again! 
    Its really possible that it was always like that but i didnt regonize that. I checked very rare this Memory. But when i did, it was always 16GB.
    Anyway, i attached my Taskmanager  after this Post. Maybe its useful

Thanks a lot 
  • Sharanji
    edited March 2018 Answer ✓
    macanroe 

Thanks for posting the image of task manager. I see that the reserved is 8.5GB. (available) and 7.5 GB(available).
    I think that should answer all questions. its reserved until you need it. so if your PC for Whatever reasons need the extra 8GB it will use it and access the reserved RAM. so no need to worry you are all good.