VX 15 Screen flicker

Basquests
Basquests Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey all, for the past 7 or so weeks, my laptop has started flickering during use.

Once the flickering starts, it either crashes the laptop screen [with the audio / pc continuing to run], or keeps flickering until the laptop crashes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkSezO1_-HQ&feature=you... 15 second video of the problem [in this case the PC had vertical lines on it, not a black screen of doom, in both cases functionally i can't do anything even though the PC is running as i can't see whats happening].

When connected to an external monitor during the flickering/crashing i.e. My TV via HDMI, the TV displays everything normally, so basically only my laptop screen is affected by this issue and external display devices aren't.

I opened the laptop and a fan screw was really loose, which really helped out as the problem was starting to occur many times a day, and almost always leading to crashing.. this helped considerably but did not eradicate the issue, and in the next 2-3 its happening a tad more frequently again. I've been monitoring the temps, and whilst the problem can occur at any time, it normally didn't happen during gaming [but has], but more frequently during just normal low gpu/cpu use [i.e. chrome + 1 or 2 things open] so I'm not sure its linked to temps.

i5 7300HQ
GTX 1050 4 GB
8GB RAM
256 GB SSD.
VX 15 591G...

I bought it from Amazon and live in NZ, so i don't think the warranty is that helpful for me as its limited to USA/Canada

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,782 Trailblazer
    >>> opened the laptop and a fan screw was really loose, which really helped>>>

You need to open it again and try re-seating both connector ends of the video ribbon cable a few times to clean the contacts. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Basquests

Tinkerer

Hey Jack,

I'm not really sure which one is the video ribbon cable on my 591G, but opening it up again might make it clearer [im guessing the ribbon cable close to the video card].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9PwK9eGrCY

Is this 1 minute video what you want me to do?
  • JackE
    If your's is the non-touchscreen model, the motherboard connector should be easiest (or should I say least difficult) to get at and re-seat. The connector at the other end of the ribbon should meander thru the hinge area to the base of the screen with a side branch to the vidicam. The screen bezel will probably have to come off. Try googling "v5-591g" "disassembly" "screen" and look for any in the v5 series videos that looks closest to your own. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Basquests

Tinkerer

I reseated all the ribbon cables that i could do easily [i.e. the "USB" one as well as the "LED" one or w/e, available at the bottom of the laptop via the mobo, since i wasn't sure which one was which, and that made the flickering constant [i.e. worse] now [not flashing black every maybe 6 or 20 hours of use, rather flickering white slightly but permanently every say 0.2 seconds]. This type of flickering sometimes accompanied the original black flickering. 

So I tried to open the screen bezel, and did that using a card, but unfortunately i couldn't get to the video cable as the actual screen is guarded by 4 screws..one of which is stripped and refusing to come off.

Once I get some help in taking that off, I'll be able to get to the video cable from the LCD side and let you know.

Thanks, hopefully the fact that the problem has slightly changed from messing around with the cables you mentioned, means that I'm on the right track even though im going backwards in terms of being able to use the laptop.
  • JackE
    Yes, seems like an intermittent physical connection issue. The other possibility which often happens is a fatigue break in one or more ribbon cable conductor traces. This usually happens in the hinge area from opening and closing the lid too much. A replacement video cable should fix that. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Basquests

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, seems like an intermittent physical connection issue. The other possibility which often happens is a fatigue break in one or more ribbon cable conductor traces. This usually happens in the hinge area from opening and closing the lid too much. A replacement video cable should fix that. Jack E/NJ
    Hi. 

I sent it in to the repair shop, they said its a motherboard problem and are quoting 400 nzd (300usd).

Gonna talk to them tomorrow hopefully,, but is that likely?
    I dont want to drop so much and then be like oh.. That wasnt the problem. 

Especially since people such as yourself had a different focus. 
  • JackE
    @Basquests >>>When connected to an external monitor during the flickering/crashing i.e. My TV via HDMI, the TV displays everything normally, so basically only my laptop screen is affected by this issue and external display devices aren't.>>>

This behavior ****STRONGLY**** suggests it is ****NOT***** a motherboard issue!!!!!  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Basquests

Tinkerer

Hi, i thought as much.if it was a mobo issue, as you say id expect an external display to also have the flicker.

Thanks, ill definitely get someone else to check it out 
  • JackE
    It does however suggest that the lcd flex ribbon conductor traces are fatigued/cracked in the hinge area. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Basquests

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    It does however suggest that the lcd flex ribbon conductor traces are fatigued/cracked in the hinge area. Jack E/NJ
    Hi, going to the repairer tomorrow.

Looking at the Amazon 'critical' reviews, I see around 15~ people have referenced the exact same flicker problem as me [either heavily liking or posting a review on the flicker]. I don't know if this changes anything, but surely this is something acer should be looking at [putting a product with a common huge fault that rears its head in a lot of users].

"UPDATE: 8/2/17 LAPTOP SCREEN FLICKERS ALL THE TIME WHEN NOT CONNECTED TO A TV VIA HDMI. BARELY USABLE WITHOUT A SECOND DISPLAY. IS THERE A WAY TO GET A REPLACEMENT IF I DIDN'T PURCHASE WARRANTY. SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS MODEL SINCE OTHER USERS HAVE COMPLAINT ABOUT THIS AS WELL"

"
     enjoy this computer but it came with a problem. The screen flickers like crazy when its moved. I have taken this to Acer In South Korea "serivce but they were unable to fix it for me since the warrenty was in America"

"
    Having the same screen flicker issue that others have posted about. It's a great laptop when it is working, but several times a week the screen will start to flicker then become completely illegible. Rebooting sometimes fixes it but not always."

"
    I have had this laptop for less then a year and I have now been hit with the screen flicker problem that seems to be very common here with others that have purchased this same laptop."

"
    the screen started flickering in some hinge positions (likely a bad connection on the cable). I live in Japan and it was such a mess to receive the laptop at first that I really don't want to risk sending it back, I doubt I have a warranty here anyway."

"The display will flicker significantly when I go to open the laptop or tilt the screen in any way."

• powergeekxero
    powergeekxero Member Posts: 3 New User
    The connection requires more pressure. Most laptops house the connection below the keyboard frame, but the VX 15 connection is located on the bottom of the motherboard. The gap between the connection and bottom housing lets gravity do its thing. To eliminated this, you need to fill the gap. I've provided a link to my fix performed a year ago; haven't had a screen flicker since.

• JackE
    @powergeekxero Thanks for your fix. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• powergeekxero
    powergeekxero Member Posts: 3 New User
    @JackE ; You're welcome, nothing better than a $2 fix!