SF 315-51G - Unable to change uefi mode into legacy! Secure boot is already disabled.

2»

Answers

• zrakamit
    zrakamit Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

@JordanB yourey a genius brother. Issue is solved. But the fact is I have to enter into boot menu from where I have to select kali linux. Then it entering into linux. And the good news news is now I m also able to open the bios. I think it is because of that uefi grux64.efi setting. That is also visible in boot menu. Clicking on that taking me to the windows. Amd by default it is loading windows. Thanks again. 
    And @JackE you were also right. We have to disable the secure boo, without that.. I was not even able to enter into boot menu. So thankyou again guys. You made my day.
  • zrakamit
    zrakamit Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

@JackE thank you man!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,430 Trailblazer
    @zrakamit  >>>A[n]d by default it is loading windows.>>>

Congrats on your success! And if you want to live dangerously, you can move grub up to the top of the boot order ahead of Windows and Kali will load by default. =)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

OK some confusion here:

- "modern systems do not have legacy mode": true, what they can do if you have set a BIOS password is to Erase all Secure Boot Setting. This will remove the signatures from the store and will boot normally except it will not check any signatures and will not give a secure boot fail message.

You can also Restore Secure Boot to Factory Default. I have to use these quite often when testing distros as you can only add five boot files to Select...as trusted and and Erase then Restore is the only way to flush added files.

Suspect this should be a sticky.

ps on an Apollo Lake machine Kali 2018-W09 and W10 (weekly builds) are the only distros that will boot through even after erasing.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    As I previously told you in the link below Padgett, it's not helpful, and it confuses forum members when you discuss Apollo Lake in a thread that's not about Apollo Lake.  The OP doesn't have Apollo Lake.  Apollo Lake is unique.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/538305/cant-access-uefi-after-installing-linux-dual-boot/p1
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    @JordanB  >>> https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/kali-linux-now-in-windows-store-but-defender-flags-its-packages-as-threats/  >>>

Heh-he. Looks like WSL should be the acronym for the Windows Substandard-System for Linux. Probably no better than their old virtual PC hard drives --- still not up to VMWare standards.  And with Win10 as the host? Fahgeddaboudit!  :o Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018
    @padgett

I did test your workaround, and technically it does work.  But I'm not sure if it's the best way to go, although your workaround is probably safer than disabling secure boot and risking being locked out of the UEFI settings.  The latest BIOS may fix that UEFI lockout problem.  I don't know.  I don't have a Swift3.

The best workaround is probably not to use Kali or any OS that requires you to disable Secure Boot or use a workaround.   Stick with Mint or Ubuntu instead.  Disabling secure is not necessary with Ubuntu/Mint (on swift3).  Workarounds aren't necessary with Ubuntu/Mint (on swift3).

@JackE
    I downloaded it from Windows Store and tested it.  It was just command line.  It works fine.  I'm not sure if Ubuntu or kali is available from windows store that allows GUI or how to add GUI.  I'm sure there's a way to add GUI although I'm not really interested in figuring that out.  I leave that up to you and others as I'm not really an avid linux user.  And definitely not a kali user.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    @JordanB  >>>I'm not really an avid linux user.>>>

I wasn't much either till I got mint. Impressive! :3 Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Grindlay
    Grindlay Member Posts: 1 New User
    I came here because the 256GB Hynix SSD installed in my Swift 3 died at 13 months old :#
    It was still being detected, but I got the "No Bootable Device" error.
    I couldn't get the machine to boot from a USB stick. What I was missing was nothing to do with secure boot (although that can be a pain).
    You must format your USB stick with GPT and FAT32, as posted early in this thread. Sticks with other formats won't be detected.
    I hope this saves you some pain.
  • JackE
    Thanks for report on your success. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• happydancer
    happydancer Member Posts: 1 New User
    Nope! Follwed to the 'T' everything above on a two year old Acer Aspire ES1 355, about 10 seconds after install starts with file check, the computer just freezes. That experience has been the story of my life for the passed two days! Actually been tring to install any version of linux for the last 48 hours and trawled just about anything I can find on all sorts of forums but nothing has worked for me. Have successfully installed Linux on an old HP Pavillion laptop so not my failure to follow instructions! I have updated the bios by flashing, leaned how to downgrade (that was an interesting challenge as you are not supposed to do that!) and upgrade the bios software in any vain attempt to get one bios software allowing the software to install and even magically allow the UEFI forced setting to free up and allow change to legacy. I have booted in windows safe mode, fiddled with settings, watched countless Youtube videos, wasted loads of time, tried all sorts of settings with Rufus, tried editing linux installation settings but now about to give up on Acer Laptop, it is no longer worthy of my time and I won't be ordering a pile more Acers for my company (as we intended to do under this second lock down) which has decided to switch to Linux (Mint and Windowsfx). The Acer seems permamently shackled to Windows 10 and that is no longer us so the Acer is not for us either sadly. On the surface the Acer seemed great value for money but they are strictly a Windows machine and engineered to stay that way. This UEFI stuff is what has defeated us, (give me the old bios software of yestayear!, didn't even get around to playing with the new SS drive I bought to test. Rather than UEFI offering better protection (I understand the motivation to prevent boot viruses) it has locked us out! Bit like buying a car you can't drive becuase the anti theft security keeps you out! Sigh! Solution? Not for 1000's of Acer customers to spend 1000 of man hours following "instructions" all over the internet trying to make their product do the job the customer intends but for Acer to release a utility to install anything the customer wants from hard drives to OS's, easily and simply and then put the clamp back on afterwards.

• JackE
    happydancer   >>>Nope! Follwed to the 'T' everything above on a two year old Acer Aspire ES1 355, >>>

The might be because ACER  never manufactured such a model. Perhaps an ASUS? Or an ES1-533? Maybe try another USB port or another USB stick. Mint is one of the most reliable installers so try to install it. I recommend the Cinnamon GUI version. At any rate, this thread is almost 3 years old and marked as solved. You might want to consider posting your own thread for better attention/response from other users. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    @happydancer you should probably start your own thread, since you have a different model computer. Remember that most modern computers don't have a legacy mode, since they were not designed to work with Windows 7 and older. You shouldn't be having any issues installing any current version of Linux under UEFI mode, they all support it these days.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.