Win10 -won't give me a login box on start screen - just the picture

KevinB
KevinB Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
System was working fine Friday. I went out of my office for 30 seconds, came back, and tried to enter some new data - keyboard wasn't working all of a sudden. Mouse would move cursor around screen, but keyboard wouldn't enter anything. Tried rebooting. System boots (i.e. hear beep), and after a few seconds, I see my desktop background picture, and a little network icon in the lower right corner, showing I'm connected to the Internet, but no login box appears, and no cursor appears. Nothing happens when I touch the keyboard or wiggle the mouse.

Tried holding down F8 or F12 when booting (writing this from memory at home), and did get to the old black and white BIOS startup, but nothing there offered me a chance to repair the system. However, both the mouse and keyboard worked, so I'm sure the problem is not with them.

Other articles have suggested "boot three times" without EXPLAINING HOW TO DO THAT. Does that mean, power off (I actually remove the plug), put the plug back in, push the power button, and when I hear the machine start up (i.e. right after the beep), push it again, and do that whole process for three times total? Or does it mean something else? I'm not going to mess around with it just pushing buttons for fear of making the problem worse.

So, if anyone can answer either of these two questions: 1) what do they mean power on three times, or 2) how should I proceed without my login screen, I'd be very grateful.

thanks,

Kevin

Answers