My Aspire A315-51: Printing to an HP will only print in black. Problem is NOT with the HP printer..

Options
romig57
romig57 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Will not print in color. The HP diagnostic test-page comes out in color and my Wife's Asus laptop prints to the HP in color. But I cannot get a color print from my Acer laptop.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, but when you go to print, a printer box pops up. Next to the printer name, there's a properties option to click on. That brings up another box with some tabs that include color. Click on the color tab and make sure it's not set to grayscale only. The two boxes should look similar to those in this image. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    What program are you trying to color print from? When the print screen comes up, try adjusting the properties of the printer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• romig57

Tinkerer

Options
    Printing through HP software. There is no reference to color adjustments on the print-screen.
  • JackE
    Options
    What HP software? I'm referring to application software like Microsoft Word, or Excel or similar, not HP printer driver installation software. Are you saying that the HP driver installation software failed to install? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• romig57

Tinkerer

Options
    No. Any application software prints only in black from my Acer. But prints colors from my wife's (Asus) laptop.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, but when you go to print, a printer box pops up. Next to the printer name, there's a properties option to click on. That brings up another box with some tabs that include color. Click on the color tab and make sure it's not set to grayscale only. The two boxes should look similar to those in this image. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• romig57

Tinkerer

Options
    I think you have my solution there, but when I click on "Printer Properties" I get an error msg: "Function address caused a protection fault." I can't get past the error msg to do what you suggest.
  • JackE
    Options
    Completely shut down. Then re-boot. If the protection fault error reappears on clicking printer properties, you must re-install the HP installation software. Also check Device Mgr for any red or yellow device driver issues. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• romig57

Tinkerer

Options
    I will try uninstall/reinstall tomorrow. Thank-you.
  • romig57

Tinkerer

Options
    I resolved this problem by returning the HP printer and then buying a Canon. (HP compensated me.)
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats on your success! That's certainly one way to fix an HP printer issue. I had a similar HP issue but fixed it with a new Epson. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rob4321
    Rob4321 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    This problem clearly still exists on my new ACER Aspire 3, as I can only print on my HP Envy 5540 in greyscale, even though my other laptops print on it in colour. None of the printer properties screens have any mention of greyscale or colour, in any applications or system settings. I have tried installing the latest printer driver from the HP website, with the same results. If only we could all get the same setup screens!!! Preferably the ones that work.
  • MFW
    MFW Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Rob4321 said:
    This problem clearly still exists on my new ACER Aspire 3, as I can only print on my HP Envy 5540 in greyscale, even though my other laptops print on it in colour. None of the printer properties screens have any mention of greyscale or colour, in any applications or system settings. I have tried installing the latest printer driver from the HP website, with the same results. If only we could all get the same setup screens!!! Preferably the ones that work.
    I have just recently bought an ACER Swift 3 and It will not print in colour now although it did when I first received it.   There are no settings anywhere that can change to greyscale or colour and I also dowloaded the HP Print Smart app now and it will still not print in colour.  It is also an HP Envy I am using.  Did you have any luck sorting this problem out?
  • JackE
    Options
    HP recommends a clean re-install of the Envy5540 software as follows in this link https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Envy-5540-printing-in-greyscale-and-not-colour/m-p/6406236#M663311

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ