6 weeks old and my Aspire ES-1-533 V1.12 suffers from hang-ups, freezes, 'not responding' messages

Rickety69
Rickety69 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2018 in Aspire Laptops
I have 937 Gb free HD space and 3922 Mb usable memory. The whole caboodle is dreadfully slow.
I run CC Cleaner and have few programs. The only large one is MS Office.
Ordinary programs like MS Word and even Firefox frequently give 'Not Responding' messages.
Often I get a freeze and have to do a hard reset to clear it.
It has already gone back to Acer to replace the speakers!
Have I got a 'Friday Afternoon' model?
My old Asus Windows 7 with less memory was much quicker than this!

Answers

• Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    When was the last time the laptop was responsive, quick, and fast?
    Did the slowness occur after it was sent to Acer to replace the speakers?
    Were you able to check Task Manager and go to Performance tab to see what's hogging the CPU or memory? 

• Rickety69
    Rickety69 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Thanks for your response. It seems the culprit is Firefox. I already have Chrome plus Edge (pre-installed) so guess that 3 browsers is probably the cause.  Have now uninstalled Firefox and will give it a test to see if this improves matters. If it doesn't I will uninstall Chrome as well. If you have not a further peep from me you'll know all is well!  Thanks again.
  • Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Rickety69 said:
    Thanks for your response. It seems the culprit is Firefox. I already have Chrome plus Edge (pre-installed) so guess that 3 browsers is probably the cause.  Have now uninstalled Firefox and will give it a test to see if this improves matters. If it doesn't I will uninstall Chrome as well. If you have not a further peep from me you'll know all is well!  Thanks again.
    Ok good to know. I really like the new Firefox Quantum, however, it does take a lot of resource. That kind of make sense. Keep us updated. 
  • TrinaD
    TrinaD Member Posts: 1 New User
    hi, got a new acer  Swift 3, for 4 months, just yesterday it started hanging after it was put to sleep, when i return, the screen was black no  template and sign in option. I was not able to use it for my class. I waited for it to be drain as i do not know what to do. When I charge it again, it was good, however it hang frequently like in the middle of my work, if i press letters too fast, double clicking same letters it hang. Also the youtube and netflix are affected too as it  hang frequently and the voice comes first before the action in the movie and i never finishes one  movie coz it frequently freeze, no keys are available, the mouse  doesn't move, so I have to reset. today, on the second day, i noticed the same thing, and it hang more frequent than the yesterday. it is interrupting my work,  my class, and i cant enjoy my leisure time  by watching my netflix coz it freeze always. I re-set my laptop more than 10 x today. I hope my power button will not give up. kindly help me find a solution over this, as it is wasting my time waiting for it to function again, hang/ freeze,  reset, on again , hang then reset,  on again  and use it again, and the cycle continues. I am tired,  it is very upsetting and frustrating to use this laptop considering that I recently bought it.
     thank you!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @TrinaD,

# Try to get the BIOS page.
    1. Turn OFF the unit.
    ​2. Press and hold the F2 key and turn on the unit. 
    3. You will be in setup utility page. 
    4. Once you got the screen release the F2 key.
    5. Tap on F9 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    6. Tap on F10 key and hit enter key without changing the option.
    7. Your unit will restart by itself. 

Check this T/S and post the result. ​