Attaching external speakers

drrdhuey
drrdhuey Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
I have a Studio XPS desktop and want to connect external speakers to it. (BTW I have an Acer monitor). The monitor has a light green audio output cable and the speakers have a thin black cable. On the back of the desktop there are 6! plug ins for sound. Egads, which slot do I plug in the green cable from the monitor and where the black cable from the speakers? Nothing has worked. The speakers have power (the green light is on), but I cannot get any sound from them.  The only sound comes from the internal speakers only, the AMD HDMI Output. There are also choices for Realtek Digital Output (Optical) and Realtek HDMI Output, as well as the Speakers/Headphones which say they are "ready" but the AMD HDMI Output has the checkmark beside it. I have tried switching to the Speakers/Headphones without success.  Can anyone please help me?  I am not that savvy about computers, so remember that when you reply.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,328 Pathfinder
    drrdhuey
    You can directly connect the main audio cable from the speaker to the audio-out port on your computer.
    Also, select open Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Click Manage audio devices under Sound to open the Sound window. From the Playback tab on the Sound window, click the Speakers and Headphones icon to enable the Configure button, and then click Configure to open the Speaker Setup window.
    Try selecting "Realtek Digital Output (Optical) and Realtek HDMI Output" and check the audio.

You can use the below mentioned color coding to connect the cable to the port on your computer.
    Pink -Analog microphone audio input (mono or stereo).
    Light blue-  Analog line level audio input.
    Lime green - Analog line level audio output for the main stereo signal (front speakers or headphones).
    Black Analog - line level audio output for the surround speakers (rear speakers).
    Silver Analog - line level audio output for "side speakers".
    Orange-  Analog line level audio output for the center speaker / Subwoofer

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
This discussion has been closed.