Upgrade CPU Acer Aspire 5742ZG

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    sandrot  Congrats on your success. Good to know. Thanks for posting. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• popak
    popak Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

hi
    Is the interface of Acer 5742zg sata version 2.0 ?
    I want to buy an SSD

• JackE
    Answer ✓

You can replace your 2.5" SATA version3 HDD with any 2.5" SATA version3 SSD

Jack E/NJ

• popak

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    JackE said:

You can replace your 2.5" SATA version3 HDD with any 2.5" SATA version3 SSD
    I want to replace the HDD with SSD Sata 3.0
    My question is about the SATA laptop interface
    Does it support SATA version 2 or SATA version 1.0 ?
    If it supports SATA 2, the read and write speed of the SSD will be halved, something around 250 MB per second. However it is worth buying
    But if the SATA interface is version 1.0 , the speed will be reduced to a quarter and it is not worth buying

Sata Laptop Interface 5742zg Is Sata version 1 or 2 ?
    I do not think SATA 3.0 will be supported

SATA revision 1.0 (1.5 Gbit/s, 150 MB/s)

SATA revision 2.0 (3 Gbit/s, 300 MB/s)

SATA revision 3.0 (6 Gbit/s, 600 MB/s)

I hope I conveyed what I mean , Thanks

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    SATA3 HDDs & SSDs are automatically backward compatible with and automatically downshift speeds to accomodate SATA1 & SATA2 speed capable systems.

Jack E/NJ

• popak

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    SATA3 HDDs & SSDs are automatically backward compatible with and automatically downshift speeds to accomodate SATA1 & SATA2 speed capable systems.

You do not understand my question or do not have information about it !
    Did I say they are not compatible ?!

my question is :

What version of SATA interface is in this laptop? sata gen1 or sata gen2 ?

SATA I (revision 1.x) interface, formally known as SATA 1.5Gb/s, is the first generation SATA interface running at 1.5 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 150MB/s.

SATA II
    (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s.

SATA III (revision 3.x) interface, formally known as SATA 6Gb/s, is a third generation SATA interface running at 6.0Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 600MB/s. This interface is backwards compatible with SATA 3 Gb/s interface.

If the SATA interface on this laptop is gen1, buying SSD is useless

• popak

Tinkerer

link :

One user wrote for model 5742G which is gen2 ( Storage: SATA 2 - 3Gb/s )

I asked here to make sure 

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    SATA2 as shown below.

Jack E/NJ

• popak

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    JackE said:
    SATA2 as shown below.

This table only gives the specifications of the hard drive and the specifications of the laptop SATA interface are not known

in software shows, Driver controller : HDD seagate ST9500325AS - sata 1.0 ( 1.5gb/s)

in software shows , Sata host Controller : gen2 3.0 gbps

According to these images, the hard drive interface on my laptop is SATA 1.0
    is it right ?

It can be concluded that the specifications of the hard drive on my laptop have been entered incorrectly on the sites

• popak

Tinkerer

edited September 2021
    In the end, I did not decide whether my laptop SATA interface was gen 1 or gen 2. I think the solution is to buy an SSD and figure it out based on the speed I get !!! :/

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Please carefully re-read the title and interface specifications of my image post. This is a SATA2 mainboard bus speed between the HDD/SSD & CPU.

Jack E/NJ

• popak

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Please carefully re-read the title and interface specifications of my image post. This is a SATA2 mainboard bus speed between the HDD/SSD & CPU.

JackE said:

You did not understand my questions , my question was not about speed
    My question was about the SATA laptop hardware interface
    Most likely the interface is SATA laptop gen2

In your list, my current hard drive is SATA 2 and it is written on the sites like this, but the PDF file of the specifications of this drive that I downloaded from the Seagate site shows something else.

I think my current hard drive is SATA 1 and this has caused me to have doubts about the SATA laptop interface. 

Anyway, you worked very hard and thank you very much, I will inform you about the result after buying SSD. <3

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Please. I think we have semantic misunderstandings.

The SATA-II interface = 3Gb/s speed by definition.

You have a SATA-II mainboard that is backward compatible with a SATA-I HDD at 1.5Gb/s speed. It is also compatible with a SATA-II HDD/SSD at 3Gb/s speed.  It is also compatible with a SATA-III SSD but limited to 3Gb/s speed instead of 6Gb/s due to the 3Gb/s mainboard bus specification shown below.

However, because the SSD does not have the HDD head seek and disk spin bottleneck, the SSD will be noticeably faster than the HDD even if both are running at 3Gb/s R/W speeds.

Jack E/NJ

• popak

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Please. I think we have semantic misunderstandings.

The SATA-II interface = 3Gb/s speed by definition.

You have a SATA-II mainboard that is backward compatible with a SATA-I HDD at 1.5Gb/s speed. It is also compatible with a SATA-II HDD/SSD at 3Gb/s speed.  It is also compatible with a SATA-III SSD but limited to 3Gb/s speed instead of 6Gb/s due to the 3Gb/s mainboard bus specification shown below.

However, because the SSD does not have the HDD head seek and disk spin bottleneck, the SSD will be noticeably faster than the HDD even if both are running at 3Gb/s R/W speeds.

Thank you very much, I just wanted to make sure that the SATA interface is second generation, because buying SSD is not useful for the first generation SATA  :3:)
    Thank you <3