What causes Random shut-offs? Aspire ES14

angeluv
angeluv Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2021 in Legacy Laptops and Netbooks
My ACER laptop (Aspire ES14) is 10 months old and when i started experiencing random shutdowns 3 months after i purchased the unit. Until it stopped and I thought it was just some sort of update or virus scanning failure.
But lately it has been unusual that everytime I use my acer laptop, it keeps shutting down. I brought it to where I purchased the unit, and the technician said that some drivers or boosters need to get updated. With this, I was so frustrated that he was not able to provide the solution. It has nothing to do with all of it. 

Now, what to do??? i appreciate if you could provide us with a quick solution. and not a false hope. It is so frustrating knowing that they cant even answer our querries. I use my laptop everyday and to make sure it won't shut-off during my classes, I always have to plug its powercord. 

please advise. thank you

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• Hi,
    Could you please post the full model name of your laptop, in the meantime, install HWmonitor or similar utility and monitor the temperatures, please post the screen shot of the readings.
    https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
  • Hi,
    Could you please try a battery reset, switch off the laptop, disconnect AC adapter and follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest 15-20 Mins before starting again.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • angeluv
    battery resetting done,, ill get back to you after my observations. thanks so much :) 
  • angeluv
    just right after sending you the message, my laptop shutoff :(
  • Hi,
    Have you installed the HWmonitor? If so what are temperatures? 

• dianaf
    dianaf Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hello, 
    My aspire ES1-433 is two months old and it started to suddenly shut down very often, even when it doesn't seem to be warm at all, or on my desk. I'll post a photo with the temperatures on HWmonitor. It's running with Windows 10. 
  • dianaf
    My model is ES1-433-P2QY
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    @dianaf Some of these models have a safety switch on the mainboard which can accidentally shutdown the laptop due to misalignment of the case with the switch when being moved around or pressure on the keyboard or touchpad.

This lengthy thread describes two types of switches that are commonly used, a normally-off or a normally-on switch. In the former, the case doesn't push hard enough against the switch to keep power on. In the latter, the case pushes too hard and cuts the power. The fixes were simple involving tape spacers. Sorry, I can't determine which type of switch you have in your model and will require opening the machine to find the switch. If it's still under warranty, you should arrange ACER service to take care of this issue.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/464023/acer-aspire-e15-keeps-randomly-shutting-down-even-when-i-have-a-full-battery-charge/p1

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• dianaf
    @JackE, thank you very much for your answer. I have the warranty, the issue is that I am not anymore in the country where I've bought it. Is the warranty valid in another country too? 
  • JackE
    That may be a problem. First try this link with your laptop's serial number ID https://www.acer.com/ac/fr/FR/content/support   If it doesn't work, then click the ACER service link at the bottom of this page and choose the country where you bought it. If it works there, I'm not quite sure about shipping costs and timeframe for warranty repairs. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• AnuraagKalita
    AnuraagKalita Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,
    Have you installed the HWmonitor? If so what are temperatures? 

Hey, I just took a screen shot of the HWMonitor..My Acer Aspire5 i5 8th Gen, keeps on shutting down too on its own..Please advice

• dkrolow
    dkrolow Member Posts: 1 New User
    My ACER Swift 1 is doing the same thing.  Shuts down randomly, sometimes as soon as i boot it up and open the first program.  Sent it to ACERS repair place in Texas.  Got it back a few weeks later and it starting shutting down agian within a few days.
    Took it to Best Buy and they couldn't figure anything out either. Called ACER back and said I have to send it in again.  Asked for a new one or a refund and they said that is not their policy even if its still under warranty.  Im sure I'll have to keep sending it back and forth until the one year warranty runs out and then throw it in the garbage.  Frustrating to have a computer spend more time getting supposedly fixed and not being able to use it. 
  • avishkaMe
    avishkaMe Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi my acer laptop model is E5-575G and it is suddenly shuts down without warning when battery percentage comes to 30%.
    can anyone give a solution for this?
  • JackE

Open Device Manager. Click 'batteries' folder. Uninstall ALL drivers in this folder. Exit Device Manager without reinstalling them. Shut down machine. Turn it back on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ChrisSchroeder
    ChrisSchroeder Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have TWO identical SW!-011 tablet / computer units that BOTH run well on AC and shut down immediately when AC is unplugged.  BOTH batteries are in good condition.  BOTH started doing this after upgrading from 8.1 to Windows 10.  Acer has been of no help (there is no way to even email if off warranty) and I am about to walk away from ACER as a brand (and we currently own 6 ACER computer).  I am at the end of my rope, as these are for my kids and they cannot use them at school due to the inability to run off battery.  All we want to do is access Google Classroom.  SUPER disappointed with the lack of the ability to even talk to someone in support to see if they can guide.

If anyone can help us with this issue you will become my new hero.  Any takers? :anguished:

SW1-011

• JackE
    >>>BOTH started doing this after upgrading from 8.1 to Windows 10.>>>

Many would consider this a downgrade. :)  Try a couple of things. First, look on the back or bottom for a battery reset pinhole. If one exists, remove the charger and gently insert a paperclip into the pinhole for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. if equipped with a battery charge LED, wait for it to turn from steady orange to steady blue before trying to turn the machine on and test it.

If still no joy, open DeviceManager and click on the batteries folder. Right click and uninstall ALL device drivers you find in this folder. Exit Device Manager without trying to reinstall anything. Then shut down Windows normally. Turn it back on and test it again.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• User27
    User27 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi
    My acer laptop model is A315-55G-5851 and it shut off on its own earlier. I did the battery reset method but it didn't work. I tried it several times, waited and it still didn't work. What should I do
  • JackE
    This thread is almost 3 years and marked solved. For better exposure to other users who may be able to help, please start your own thread. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jonesmabel
    jonesmabel Member Posts: 2 New User
    My Aspire 8920 (Win7) has the random shutdown problem. The battery (new) is not recognised and does not charge, I don't mind this, I only use it plugged in. I can not find an elegant cure for the shutdown problem, but I have found a 100% cure. 
    I run at startup the Microsoft program CPUStress, designed to test the cpu under stress. I run 4 threads with the default value and.... shutdown problem gone and no major performance hit.
    I agree it is not elegant but it is effective and way better than a PC that was shutting down randomly and frequently particularly when the CPU was only doing light housekeeping type work.

works for me