How can I fix error message when using USB system recovery drive

Options
2»

Answers

• Tuer21
    Tuer21 Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

Options
    So when I was selecting the disk and I cleaned it there was two options. Disk 0 and disk 1. I went through and cleaned both of them. Could that be my problem 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>So when I was selecting the disk and I cleaned it there was two options. Disk 0 and disk 1.>>>

What do you mean? Is this when you were using the installation stick earlier? Or from the ALT+F10 key dance you just tried again? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tuer21

Tinkerer

Options
    When I used the vanilla windows USB. I followed the steps from the earlier post and it mentioned to clean disk. I cleaned both disks.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    You should only have had HDD0 unless maybe you had something else plugged into SD or USB slot. At any rate, I think you're gonna have to try to use the vanilla install stick again. Insert the vanilla stick but use a different USB port than you used the last time. Then power down the machine. Turn it on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. Then select the stick for booting and see if you can install Windows again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tuer21

Tinkerer

Options
    Formatted USB and reinstalled vanilla USB. Went through the steps as listed in previous post. Plugged recovery USB into a different USB port hit f12 and boot manager came up with USB drive as the only selection. I selected it and it’s going through the same process as it did from my first post I made. It sits on this screen for a long time then the error message comes up
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Since your vanilla Windows USB works and your Acer USB doesn't,  I would say there is something wrong with your Acer USB.  I would contact Acer and try to get a new Acer USB recovery drive.

Edit: You can try to install vanilla Windows 8.1 just to make sure your HDD is fine.

To install vanilla Windows 8.1................

1.  Boot the vanilla Windows 8.1 USB
    2.  After you select your language, select Custom installation
    3.  Click on the drive where you want to install Windows (it should say "unallocated space") and then click "Next"

Acer drivers.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Tuer21

Tinkerer

Options
    So I ran the vanilla USB and got to this screen with it. Does that mean hard drive is good and probably Acer USB is now screwed?
  • JordanB
    edited February 2018
    Options
    So far, it's not possible to make any determination about your HDD.

Since it's asking you for a Windows 8.1 product key, that's usually an indication that your computer originally came pre-installed with a special version of Windows 8.1 called "Windows 8.1 with Bing".  So that means you won't be able to install vanilla Windows 8.1.

I think you should contact Acer and ask them for a new USB recovery drive.

http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• topcat7736
    topcat7736 Member Posts: 98 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    A recovery USB from Acer is about $50. I would skip it and just get a free Windows 10 which will work better than 8.1. Download the media Creation Tool and have it make an installation USB for you. When installing it, skip entering the serial number stuff and, once installed, Windows should ultimately recognize your machine from your ethernet port address.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/windows-10-media-creation-tool.html
  • JordanB
    Options
    A recovery USB from Acer is about $50. I would skip it and just get a free Windows 10 which will work better than 8.1. Download the media Creation Tool and have it make an installation USB for you. When installing it, skip entering the serial number stuff and, once installed, Windows should ultimately recognize your machine from your ethernet port address.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/clone-disk/windows-10-media-creation-tool.html

This is a pretty old.  In this particular case, the OP has Intel i5-4210U Haswell-ULT which has known issues with Windows 10 and the Intel Management Engine Interface driver.  So for most people with Haswell-ULT, Windows 8.1 is a better choice.
  • topcat7736
    topcat7736 Member Posts: 98 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    I apologize, I didn't look at the posted date. Perhaps Intel has resolved the 2015 compatibility problems since they have new 2019 Windows 10 drivers for the Intel i5-4210U Haswell-ULT on their website. These driver upgrades should also be available through Windows during/after installation?