usb mice will not work with my lap top suddenly

Norian
Norian Member Posts: 9 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I use my laptop on a regular basis, generally for mild gaming. for the last few months ive been using a blackweb multitasking mouse i picked up at Walmart. its worked great up until last Friday(the last time i tried using it) when i grabbed it this morning it wouldn't do anything. so i tried a different mouse, still nothing. went to google to see if i could figure out the problem, sent me through steps to check devices through device manager, and windows settings. looks like i have no drivers for the mouse anymore. when i tell it to search for the drivers online, it turns up nothing and manually searching ive found nothing. contacted windows support, they did everything i did and came up with the same answer of 'youre missing the drivers' well that was lots of help.. they pointed me over here, talked to AnswersBy they tell me its a software issue. i wont pretend like I'm any sort of computer genius here which would be why I'm hoping somebody else has had this issue and has some sort of solution. I'm sure if i had the money to fork out to answersby they could help me out, but id rather not pay them to tell me what somebody here may already know.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK. Copy your personal stuff or changes made since last Tues to a stick. Then restore Win10 from last Tuesday's restore point. If it still doesn't work, it probably didn't work last Tuesday either. Then we'll have to go back to restore from next earlier Win10 restore point. And so forth and so on till we run out of Win10 restore points, which unlike earlier more stable Windows versions, are only retained for a month or so on your hard drive till they're automatically deleted for your inconvenience. :(  Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    What's your ACER model, number & factory-installed WinVer? What WinVer's on it now? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    its an Aspire E5-722G, model no. N15W2. By winver I'm taking a guess that you mean windows version? if so, i believe it came with 7, and its now windows 10

• JackE
    >>>its worked great up until last Friday>>>

OK. Try this first if you haven't do so already. Open Device Mgr. Click on Mice & other pointing devices. Uninstall HID compliant mouse if it's there. Exit Device Mgr. Do a cold boot and let Windows auto re-detect and re-install the generic HID driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    i tried that before, but figured id give it another shot. still a no go. it appears the mouse is showing up as '2.4G wireless mouse'. it has 2 instances displayed in the device manager and is under 'other devices' instead of 'mice and other pointing devices' it didn't show up until i replugged in the mouse receiver. not sure how much of that is relevant, but figured ill share any info i notice
  • goompahs
    goompahs Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem. Acer Aspire. My USB mouse just stopped working today. Tried all I could think of. Bought a wireless mouse but it won't work either.
  • JackE
    >>>it didn't show up until i replugged in the mouse receiver. >>>

Remove the HID compliant mouse again from Device Mgr. Exit. Then shut the power off. Plug in the dongle. Then turn it on again. If still no joy, does Device Mgr show ***any*** red or yellow warning symbols. Don't remove the dongle. Report back. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    Still no joy, HID compliant mouse is showing again. device manager is showing yellow warning signs on 2 instances of '2.4G Wireless Mouse' under 'other device' but no other warnings. i clicked through the other headings just to double check 
  • JackE
    OK, I'm guessing this was caused by a Win10 update. Keep the dongle plugged in. Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Check for an automatic Win10 update restore point with a date stamp that immediately precedes last Friday. If the restore point exists, copy whatever personal stuff you've done since last week unto a USB stick, then restore the system back to the way it was before last Friday. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    windows module installer created a restore point on the 13th. so last Tuesday. the next one was earlier today when i did some updates to see if thatd sort out my mouse problems. should i restore to the 13th and try?
  • JackE
    >>>its worked great up until last Friday(the last time i tried using it)>>>

Are you also sure it was working great last Wed & Thurs? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    i cant remember off hand if it was Wednesday or Thursday, i don't think i used it those days. Friday was just a few minutes but like i said the mouse was working at that point
  • JackE
    OK. Hold off on the restore point for a bit. Google "blackweb" "mouse" "driver" "download" with the quotes. Check to see if the drivers that are available for download on the blog match your model number. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    using that search all i can find for drivers is for a "Blackweb Gaming Mouse Driver 5 button + DPI button RGB Mouse Driver (AYA Mouse)/Blackweb gaming wired mouse" or "Blackweb BWA17 Gaming Mouse Driver" neither of which is what i have. (BWGOK-BK wireless multi-task mouse)

i will say i managed to find those 2 along with the drivers for a gaming keyboard earlier while searching
  • JackE
    OK. I assume that Win10 automatically installed the BWGOK-BK OK when you first plugged in the dongle just after you bought it. So let's try this. Open Device Mgr again with the dongle still plugged in. Go to one of the yellow warning instances for the mouse. Is there an option to rollback to an earlier driver? If not, go to the other instance and look for a rollback option. Report back. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    i see no options to rollback. update, uninstall, disable, scan for hardware changes, and properties are the only options i have. i glanced through properties and don't see that option any where
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    OK. Copy your personal stuff or changes made since last Tues to a stick. Then restore Win10 from last Tuesday's restore point. If it still doesn't work, it probably didn't work last Tuesday either. Then we'll have to go back to restore from next earlier Win10 restore point. And so forth and so on till we run out of Win10 restore points, which unlike earlier more stable Windows versions, are only retained for a month or so on your hard drive till they're automatically deleted for your inconvenience. :(  Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Norian
    so the system restore did the trick for my mouse. only issue is that I just that wonderful blue screen. going to restore to an earlier version and hope it'l sort out the blue screen. posting this from my phone since my laptop just told me where to go. thanks a bunch for both your time and help on this JackE!
  • JackE
    >>>i believe it came with 7, and its now windows 10>>>

Hope the blue screen sorts itself out for you. But even if it does, with the new & unimproved Microsoft Win10 update lifecycle policies, you still might want to seriously consider upgrading back to Win7. You'd at least have some assurance of system stability for the next two years, instead of the next 2 months. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ