Acer helios 300 Undervolting doesnt work

Options
Gubbo98
Gubbo98 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello, I have an Acer helios 300, as the title says. i experienced high temperatures when playing games, between 85/95 C. I play for 5/10 minutes and it was already on that temperatures. I tried undervolting -100,-110 and -120, playing in the lowest settings. but nothing work. i still having the same temperatures. It is only when playing games, i tried a stress test with IXT and the temperature doesnt pass the 80 C. I dont know what to do, can u help me with this? I already call Acer service, and they told me to send the laptop to warranty, but i would like to resolve the problem if i can. I have the Laptop for 1 month, and played with it 4 or 5 times, always the same temperatures. Thank u for your time and sorry for the bad english.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There are 2 ways of how to proceed with this issue, to purchase good quality thermal paste and repaste the CPU and GPU yourself(voids warranty) or send it to the Acer repair centre.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    There are 2 ways of how to proceed with this issue, to purchase good quality thermal paste and repaste the CPU and GPU yourself(voids warranty) or send it to the Acer repair centre.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• gr_reaper_20
    gr_reaper_20 Member Posts: 111 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    If you decide to send your laptop to acer make sure you restore the defaults as you have  undervolted.
    Hope that helped you.
  • Gubbo98
    Options
    Ok, i will restore the settings. so there is no solution? i would prefer that the service replace the thermal paste, just in case i do something wrong.... haha
    Well, thank u anyway guys!
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Undervolting is not a magic cure for reducing temperatures. I think we put out that idea that undervolting will fix everything (when it only helps some). As my pinned post, I usually recommend trying: a cooling pad/elevation if the laptop is not already, and maxing your fans when gaming.

The reason why you got 80C while testing XTU is because it only test the CPU, and when you game it uses the CPU and GPU at the same time. Both use the same heat sink so double the heat.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • Queen6
    Queen6 Member Posts: 319 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Gubbo98 said:
    Ok, i will restore the settings. so there is no solution? i would prefer that the service replace the thermal paste, just in case i do something wrong.... haha
    Well, thank u anyway guys!
    Try ThrottleStop, set a known good undervolt and try disabling Turbo on the main window, if the game is not CPU intensive it wont effect FPS, however it should reduce the temperature by a fair margin.

Q-6
  • undervalue
    undervalue Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Any updates @Gubbo98 ? I am also having the same issue and am deciding if I want to reapply the thermal paste myself or send it to Acer (lots of hassle and shipping cost).
  • Gubbo98
    Options
    Any updates @Gubbo98 ? I am also having the same issue and am deciding if I want to reapply the thermal paste myself or send it to Acer (lots of hassle and shipping cost).

I sent the laptop last Tuesday to the repair service. If u do the  thermal paste on your own, the warranty will be expired. The service center is far away from my home, but i decided to sent it there. They told me that in 1 week will be repaired. So on this days i tell u what happen with the notebook. Thank u for the answers guys. Greetings from Argentina :)
  • Gubbo98
    Options
    Well,i have the laptop again. they replaced me the whole motherboard. guess what? i have the ***** same temperatures. i will play with this temperatures and ***** everything.. and i couldnt update the predatorsense and all that stuff of predator because of the operative system, i dont know why... i reboot the pc, reset the operative system and everything is the same. good luck all of u guys, goodbye.