Travelmate 5740G - How doe I activate Bluetooth without onboard keybord?

Framo_Travelmate
Framo_Travelmate Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello Community,

I am a happy Travelmate 5740G user for 8 years now and this is my first heavy issue. :-)
My keyboard is out of order and I am looking for a way to activate Bluetooth without the Fn key. Is there any?

Google says usually "No!" and if than only over the BIOS. I checked mine but there is no option for the Fn key in mine and there also seems to be no BIOS update providing one. Does anyone has experience/an idea on how to use Bluetooth if you keyboard is dead?

BIOS: V. 1.05 (InsideH20 Rev. 3.5 interface)
Background: I don´t really need the on-board keyboard since I am working almost exclusive on an external keyboard. The issues occurred after my last laptop makeover, that included opening the Laptop and cleaning the FAN which (success) is now as quiet as it should be. However keyboard does not work anymore and all attempts to fix this have failed. (reinserting several times, cleaning the contacts. I guess it is a cable/connector issue.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    For about $20 with free shipping, why not simply buy a new KB to solve this issue even if you don't use it for anything else? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Framo_Travelmate
    Hi, thanks for your thoughts. I was considering that option too, but I am worried that it maybe also the connector on the motherboard itself, in which case the keyboard would not help. Since I am using the Laptop for 8 years now, I don't want to invest in it anymore, even if i is just 20 $. I consider to buy a new laptop now and just checked the new TravelMate series. :-)
  • JackE
    The KB connector is fine. But the plastic slide that holds the KB ribbon to the connector often breaks. The fix is scotch tape. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Framo_Travelmate
    Last update on this. I happen to live in Korea, where the TravelMate series is unfortunately not sold. So getting spare parts is also a bit more expensive, not to say that it would be a hassle with the guarantee if I buy one in the US or my home Germany. However I went to the local ACER service center and they had a keyboard for a similar model and offered me to plug it in and if it works to buy it. It worked and I can activate Bluetooth again. It came 40 Dollars, but at least I knew it works and it was a quick fix. :-) With this I guess the old 5740G will probably make it another 1-2 years or so.

Hope the series did not discontinue and there will be new TravelMates or a good alternative in the future?
    Thumbs up and a good day to everyone.
  • JackE
    Congrats on the fix!!! Try to keep that old thing running on Win7 as long as you can! Because most new TravelMates are running on whatever Win10 version was installed on the day it left the factory. Because of Win10's much shorter lifecycle policy than previous Windows versions, new versions of Win10 (loosely referred to as major Win10 updates) are being automatically downloaded and installed the next time it's booted with no assurances that the machine will run properly. It's almost as if the machines should carry a spoilage label "best if used before date of next major Win10 update".   :o  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ