Making Recovery drive in windows 10

Options
niz04
niz04 Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
i didn't got recovery drive with my laptop or any dvd. if got a licensed windows 10 home and office 2016 with it. if i make a recovery drive in usb drive when i try to recover or reset laptop or even change the hdd to ssd will i get the license or do i have to buy again key for win 10 and office?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018
    Options
    You don't have to buy a new license if you reset your PC.  You don't have to buy a new license if you change HDD/SSD.  
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    You can use your existing key to reinstall Office after the reset. Best is to create both the Recovery disk and a bare metal backup image. You use the Recovery disk to reinstall the backed up image.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • niz04
    Options
    what if i remove hdd and put a ssd and then use recovery drive to format.will i get the license of win 10 and office?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you use the recovery drive to restore the backup you will still have your licenses. If you use the recovery to do a new clean install you'll have to put in your code for the OS and reinstall/activate Office.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JordanB
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ??

Here in North America, when you purchase an Acer Windows 10 computer, Acer typically embeds the Windows license key in the UEFI.  If you use your USB recovery drive, the Windows license key is automatically retrieved from the UEFI...so there's nothing that we as users have to do when using a USB recovery drive or swapping out a drive. 

It's possible that billsey is referring to some other part of the world,  e.g. Asia,  where Acer might sell computers without an OS and the retailer includes Windows in the sale.  I'm not sure what billsey is referring to.
  • niz04
    Options
    there is no option to recover on ssd .. what should i do
  • JordanB
    Options
    1. Turn off your computer.
    2. Insert your USB recovery drive.
    3. Turn on your computer
    4. Reset your PC
  • niz04
    Options
    didnt work..it reset hdd ..no option for installing in ssd
  • JordanB
    Options
    Remove your HDD. And then reset your PC.  You can then  reinstall your HDD.

I thought you said your were going to remove your HDD???