USB mouse and Touchscreen stopped working after Windows 10 update on Feb 14

Options
MattG
MattG Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
USB mouse and Touchscreen stopped working after Windows 10 update on Feb 14.  I tried updating the drivers (uninstalled, reinstalled, updated, etc.).  Also tried rolling back (not available).  Also tried disable and re-enable a few times.  Rebooted, etc.  All of the above in various combinations.  Microsoft is not helpful.  Anyone here or at Acer have any solutions?

Answers

• Nfpartner
    Nfpartner Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My USB mouse and Touchscreen stopped working today 20/2, dont now way. Any solutions?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Click on restore system and settings from a restore point. Check for an automatic Win10update restore point with a time stamp immediately preceding the the date the mouse and touchpad issue arose. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMReyes
    MMReyes Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I'm having the same issue, but with the touchpad, not touchscreen.  USB mouse and touchscreen all stopped working Feb 20.  Tried all the same remedies as MattG, with similar results. Any other advice? System restore did not work.  Help please!
  • JackE
    Options
    Not a system restore. It's restore system from an automatic Win10 update "restore point". So open Control Panel again. Search "restore point". Click on restore system & settings from a restore point. Check to see if there's an automatic Win10update restore point with a time stamp immediately preceding Feb 20th. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MMReyes
    MMReyes Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks Jack, I misspoke.  The restore point wasn't working because I couldn't navigate to my antivirus to turn it off. But I was able to remove the latest update and that seems to have corrected the problem because my touchpad is once again working!  What happens when Windows forces the next update though?
  • JackE
    Options
    Congrats on finding the roadblock. These days folks are probably better off relying Windows defender along with a manually-activated standalone scanner like McAfee's Stinger. They're both free and regularly updated on almost a weekly basis.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• jazzyg
    jazzyg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Thank you all. After deleting the 14 Feb 2018 update my problem is resolved!

NOTE TO ACER^^^^ this leaves Acer Aspire laptop owners exposed as we may be unable to receive future security updates.  Can you please help in what the root cause and long term resolution is?