Bad Battery or Charging Circuit?

Options
Jonesy47
Jonesy47 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a friend whose Gateway NE56R49u isn't charging. I substituted a Targus universal AC adapter for the Gateway adapter, to make sure that wasn't the problem, with the same result. When the Power button is pressed, it blinks 5 times and then quits, as does the battery indicator on the front of the laptop. If the power indicator on the front comes on at all, it's just for a second or two and then it goes out.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    Jonesy47 

Slide the battery release latch and remove the battery. Connect only the charger and power On the laptop.
    The laptop should power On and work fine even if the battery is not inserted. If it does not power On then you need to check the adapter and the port where you connect the charger.
    If you wiggle the connection at the power port on the laptop, does it start charging again if held in a spesific position?
    You can use a multi-meter/volt-meter and test voltage output of the  adapter.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Jonesy47
    Jonesy47 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    Jonesy47 

Slide the battery release latch and remove the battery. Connect only the charger and power On the laptop.
    The laptop should power On and work fine even if the battery is not inserted. If it does not power On then you need to check the adapter and the port where you connect the charger.
    If you wiggle the connection at the power port on the laptop, does it start charging again if held in a spesific position?
    You can use a multi-meter/volt-meter and test voltage output of the  adapter.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    With the battery removed, the laptop will not power up, no matter what position I move the adapter to.