How do i update BIOS firmware in aspire 7 ?

MorganL
MorganL Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I cant find an updater tool?!
I am used to put firmware and a boot system on a USB Flash memory, or CD, and let the computer boot on it.
That method is much more reliable than from a running OS, and is also OS independent.
I have seen it also for an elder acer laptop.
But can not find for this model acer Aspire 7, Model A717-71G.

An updated firmware itself i find at
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7297?b=1&pn=NX.GTVED.005
and acer is still working on Spectre & Meltdown fix so there will probably come yet another soon
https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/53104

But how to get it flashed?

PS: we upgraded the OS to Linux /DS

Comments

• MorganL
    I installed W10 just for updating BIOS :(
    It seem to have put things in EFI partition, rebooted and performed update from there?
    Good to avoid running windows when important things are performed :)
    Why do you not release something we can put there directly, or to put on USB stick like some other do?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    BIOS flashing is risky irrespective of how it's done. Unless you have a serious issue that an update is specifically stated to fix, flashing any  bootstrapper from inside or outside the operating system isn't advisable. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MorganL
    The issue at discussion was the method to start it: why should we struggle with a OS we do not need nor want, just to be able to update machine firmware?

To address your points:
    Yes, if we need it, do not know in advance.  Examples:  Recent updates was labeled "Improve system performance" and "Update VBIOS", but i could not find details so updated it in case it avoids potential problems. BIOS settings interface could still definitely be improved in quirkiness, wording, help...  Acer is working on an update for spectre/meltdown.  For my thinkpad there was a (non vendor) update that doubled SATA speed, and improved compatibility.

Regarding risk it could be designed more professionally, here is one idea: the vendor could spend a cent for larger flash, and make it so it downloads firmware to one of two areas, and at boot it is automatically selecting the latest, with manual override.  (I have been designing microcontroller systems)

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    @MorganL   >>>Yes, if we need it, do not know in advance.  Examples:  Recent updates was labeled "Improve system performance" and "Update VBIOS", but i could not find details so updated it in case it avoids potential problems. >>>

Yes, I agree that more details are needed. So until they are, I don't update unbroken firmware in case it makes problems. :) Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ