Acer Aspire 5810TZ Wireless Network Adapter disappeared after Windowd 10 KB4074588 update today

Options
HRobertson
HRobertson Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
The wireless network adapter disappeared today after a Windows 10 update.  It had disabled itself a few times previously however I was able to run the network troubleshooter as an administrator (it offered me this option) and it enabled the adapter again.  Now it has completely vanished.  Please help.:'(

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

HRobertson 

Check if there are any devices with yellow exclamination mark in device manager.
    Right clik on empty space inside device manager and check for disabled or hidden devices.

>Disable and Enable services
    This model does not have any windows 10 drivers listed at Acer support website. Press Windows key + R and type “devmgmt.msc” to open device manager. Select Device Manager. Expand Network adapters, Right click your wireless/WiFi adapter and check if the adapter is disabled, if disabled select Enable. 

> If already enabled, then right-click on your Wi-Fi controller and select Update Driver Software. 

>Try to re-enable WLAN Services. 
    Use Windows shortcut keys Win + R to launch Run. Type services.msc into the dialog box. Press the Enter key and open the Windows Services. Navigate to the services Network Connections and WLAN AutoConfig. If none of them are running, double click the services to the Properties. Click the Start button. Set the Startup type as Automatic. Click Apply and OK. You can also go to the Dependencies tab and check other related services. If they are disabled, go and re-enable the services.  

> Uninstall and reinstall network adapter driver.
    Open device manager, Right-click the name of the Network Adapter and select Uninstall. On the "Confirm Device Uninstall" window, click OK. When the network adapter software has been uninstalled, restart the computer. The computer will reinstall the device driver software. After the computer restarts and completes the installation of the device driver software, try connecting to the Internet. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the above, much appreciated.  I have some new info though.  I finally found the drivers, they were 'hidden' in the Device Manager.  The Intel one has has code 45 on it "currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer".  There is also a Microsoft one, that one says in the properties the same thing.  Both these drivers can be seen when I click View then Hidden Drivers.  They are showing in light blue though - as are the Bluetooth ones.  Is this a bad sign as well?  

What is code 45?  How can this be remedied?  Thanks
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Thanks for the above, much appreciated.  I have some new info though.  I finally found the drivers, they were 'hidden' in the Device Manager.  The Intel one has has code 45 on it "currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer".  There is also a Microsoft one, that one says in the properties the same thing.  Both these drivers can be seen when I click View then Hidden Drivers.  They are showing in light blue though - as are the Bluetooth ones.  Is this a bad sign as well?  

What is code 45?  How can this be remedied?  Thanks

Hi,
    Give the methods in here a try:http://www.thewindowsclub.com/hardware-device-not-connected-computer-code-45
  • HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    :'( Microsoft sent me the link to the drivers for my laptop, however there are 5 different Wireless Intel drivers there, and I don't know which one it is.  How do I find this out? 

I have uninstalled the Wireless driver (as above).  It says above that it should automatically reinstall, however this has not happened  :'(
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>The wireless network adapter disappeared today after a Windows 10 update.>>>

Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". See if you can find and run an automatic Winupdate restore point with a date/time stamp that immediately precedes the wireless adpater disappearance. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    Don't know if this might be anything to do with it - but for a few months I get a message when I start up saying the computer can't connect to the Egis server to look for updates.  What is the Egis Server?  I Googled it but didn't find much.

I did try and uninstall the Windows update, but this failed, and it just reinstalled when I restarted.   I will look for a restore point like you say, and try this, thanks.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    I would suggest.....

1. Shutdown your computer
    2. Unplug from AC adapter
    3. Remove battery for about an hour.

I assume your computer is about 9 years old.......so it might be time......
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options
    Yes. And if Jordan's last suggestion doesn't do it, you still might wanna try a few other things before throwing in the towel altogether. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the above. What would removing the battery do? I ended up trying to restore the machine to Saturday night (automatic restore point before the update yesterday).  I don't know what happened, but the computer actually reinstalled Windows altogether, and removed heaps of other programmes.  It was talking about "Reseting itself" .  It has reinstalled Windows 10 - so no Wireless Adapter Driver  :/  I don't know what a dongle is, I will have a look.  The computer was 7 years old in October last year.
  • JordanB
    Options
    1. Shutdown your computer
    2. Unplug the AC charger
    3.  Remove your battery for about an hour

This procedure will remove power from the mainboard and allow your hardware (Wifi) to reset.

Similar to link below.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13677

• HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    Right I will give this a go, thanks
  • HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    I removed the battery.  Before I removed the battery the WIFI light was on (showing orange).  When I switched on the machine this morning, the WIFI light was green for a bit then went off, no light on.  There is no sign of the Wireless Network Adapter in the Device Manager.

My cousin is suggesting that the WIndows update might just be a coincidence and that the Wireless Adapter may have come loose.  Any thoughts?
  • JordanB
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @HRobertson

The problem with checking for something that might have come loose is it would require you to open up your laptop and you might possibly break something....especially if you're not real tech savvy.

For me personally, I would buy a dongle.  They sell WiFi/Bluetooth combo dongles if you need bluetooth.   And they also sell dongles that can use 5 Ghz and AC.  You'll have to do some dongle research.  :)

I would just buy the dongle in link below, but it doesn't have bluetooth.  @JackE and the others may have some more suggestions.   I don't have any more suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQFU/ref=s9_acsd_top_hd_bw_bwfo3_c_x_2_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=FCW2N28EN5X125V16KH5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=582429c1-ee6f-590e-bb2f-0fee440dbbd4&pf_rd_i=13983731

Edit: Here's a Microsoft troubleshooting link, but it sounds like you already talked to Microsoft.  Try the Network Reset

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

• HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks very much for all of the above.  Bluetooth is working so that's OK.  Will update later.
  • HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    So my Dad and I tried to get into the computer, however it proved quite difficult, lots of screws and very well fastened together.  Rather as risk breaking it, we decided to leave it, and my Dad gave me a Wireless USB stick instead.  This is all very well - great, I have WIFI again, but not very practical.  It sticks out the side of the laptop, and is in danger of getting broken off by my children...  I am still working with Microsoft to see if they can come up with any further ideas.  I guess I could give the laptop to a computer technician however this would be inconvenient as I need my laptop on a daily basis. 
  • HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    The Network reset didn't work by the way, but thanks for the idea  :)
  • HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    Tried the Network reset and it didn't work unfortunately.  Tried to take it apart with my Dad, but there were many screws and it was really difficult to move much, so we decided to leave it.  I could take it to a technician, however this is inconvenient, as I need the laptop on a daily basis.  Meanwhile I have a Wireless USB stick, however this isn't the best as it sticks out...and is in danger of being broken off by my children.  I would like to be able to test the Wireless Adapter, but alas I don't have the means to do this.  Will just have to see how things go.  You never know, miracles sometimes happen, it may start working again with the next Windows 10 update!!  Unfortunately my disk driver didn't.  That was destroyed by Windows 10 too  :#
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The wireless network adapter disappeared today after a Windows 10 update. >>>

if it's a driver vs hardware issue, you can probably do a factory reset if Win10 hasn't also destroyed the hidden ACER recovery partition. At least you'd have some system stability for the next two years instead of the next few months or whenever the next major Win10 update  comes out. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• HRobertson

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for that, I might resort to that yet.  The system restore was pretty major enough though, had to reinstall and search for a lot of stuff.  All time consuming, and time I don't have much of unfortunately.  Will post again if there is any change/update.