Anyone else experiencing severe slow downs with Aspire TC 780s (and 780As)?

ThatITGuy
ThatITGuy Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
Hey all!

Sorry to start my time here with a question rather than providing help, but I am really in a bind.

So I have a bunch of Aspire TC-780-UR17s (and some TC-780As) that are just performing atrociously and I cannot figure out why.

So we have about 7 total, and 3 of the 780s & a 780A slow down to a crawl after about a couple hours of use. Chrome, Word, File Explorer, Task Manager, and the search bar all take 30-60+ seconds (sometimes up to 3 minutes) to open or respond. CPU usage seems a little high at these times (70%) but nothing too bad. Restarting the computers helps for a couple hours, but then back to the slow crawl. None of them ever crash, blue screen, or other wise catastrophically fail, and I am at a loss of what else to do.

I have ran memtest86, Intel's IntelProcessor Diagnostic Tool (64 bit), Acer Care Centers SSD check up, monitored heat usage via CPU HWMonitor, all of which have passed any sort of metric you can think of.

I have wiped all of these machines multiple times and installed a clean version of Windows 10 Pro, and the only other non-standard programs installed on the computers are Office 2016, Chrome, Firefox, 7zip, and VLC.

I have updated all of the drivers and bios. I tried not installing the Windows Creator's Update, installing optional Windows update KB4078130 to revert the Spectre fixes, and various combinations of Windows Updates since at one point I thought it might be OS / Meltdown / Spectre related.

I am sort of at a loss here and am hoping others might have some guidance or can at least commiserate on these issues.

Thank you for your time, help, and patience on this!

Answers

• Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hey,

I assume you are in IT for a company using Acer PCs. If so, are you reinstalling Windows 10 using some kind of imaging software? Are you using sysprep or PXE? If so, perhaps install using Windows Fall Media Creator 1709 recovery media from Microsoft site and just boot that and install the drivers from acer website or use microsoft drivers update and see if it helps?

If the above is untrue, then I will continue to think about this problem. :)

• ThatITGuy
    Hey Sobe,

Thanks for the response!

Non-official IT guy at a smaller organization.

Installing Windows 10 Pro using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and have (in different attempts) updated drivers using both Windows Update & from Acer directly.
  • Sobe
    ahh, bummer!

Is there anything in Bios you can check to enable or disable certain configuration? 

Can you try replacing the HD/SSD and installing windows on it and test that out? 
  • ThatITGuy
    Have not yet tried that but I will when I get a chance!

My one inclination that that is not the issue is that the 780As and the 780s have different SSDs (it seems to be one of the few things (including the case) that is different between them).

Additionally, all of the machines have been in use for different time periods. Would be quite the coincidence if the varied SSDs all failed at the same time.

But I will definitely try it as I am looking for and appreciate all suggestions haha.

Thank you again for your help!
  • Sobe
    ThatITGuy said:
    Have not yet tried that but I will when I get a chance!

My one inclination that that is not the issue is that the 780As and the 780s have different SSDs (it seems to be one of the few things (including the case) that is different between them).

Additionally, all of the machines have been in use for different time periods. Would be quite the coincidence if the varied SSDs all failed at the same time.

But I will definitely try it as I am looking for and appreciate all suggestions haha.

Thank you again for your help!
    You're welcome. Keep me updated! I work as an IT tech, and I'm always the type who gotta know the end result lol!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    What's your memory use like when it gets into the slow mode?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ThatITGuy
    Sub 20% most of the time but sometimes Chrome could push it as high as 40%.

CPU usage was definitely a concern though, as it would spike to 100% in some moments, but never sustained for long than a second and then would go back to <10% under no load.