Acer Aspire M1935 - successful installation of Windows 10 Fall Creators update

matthiash
matthiash Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited February 29 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I just wanted to share something with the community...
Today I successfully upgraded Windows 10 with the latest Fall Creators update (version 1709) on an Acer Aspire M1935 desktop PC.
Initially this PC came with Windows 7 pre-installed, but was later upgraded to Windows 10 (v. 1511) during the free offer period.
The installation of the Fall Creators update failed each time with the following behavior during the second reboot phase:
- screen turns black at 75% and hard reboot of PC is needed
- update continues but freezes at 82%
- hard reboot of PC causes rollback to previous version

I finally managed to get past 82% by removing the PCI-E Anatel wifi card and restarting the installation from the Windows 10 iso-file!

So this is what worked for me:
- download the Windows 10 iso file on the local hard drive using the Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
- shutdown PC, remove PCI-E wifi card
- startup PC again (without wifi now)
- open the Windows 10 iso file using explorer and start the setup.exe from there
- the installation/upgrade should now continue past 82% and no more black screen at 75% :-)
- after successful installation of the upgrade, I replaced the removed wifi card with a recent D-Link USB wifi adapter, connected to the internet, installed all remaining updates et voila!

Happy upgrading :-)

Comments

• Sobe
    Sobe Member Posts: 138 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Great job and thank you for sharing
  • mmesser314
    mmesser314 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for this. I have been having very similar problems with my Dell computer, which has an Acer motherboard. I will try your advice.

How did you find that the wifi card was the issue? I have been finding no error messages.

I have been using a network cable. That means I can restart and continue without using the Windows 10 iso file.
  • mmesser314
    mmesser314 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Well, it worked. No need for the Windows 10 image, which is just as well. I upgraded from Windows 7, so I don't have it.

Sorry, my computer is Gateway. My motherboard is an Acer IPISB-VR rev 1.01 manufactured in 2016. The card is much older, some generic Chinese board manufactured in 2012. It stopped working right after I bought the computer. I never bothered to fix it because I use a cable. It sounds like having a more recent card would have prevented the update problem.
  • sweeno99
    sweeno99 Member Posts: 1 New User
    HI Everyone, 

New to this forum, but I've had so many issues with the Windows Update i felt I had to share!

This solution worked for me, the first time. I have experienced exactly the symptoms as described above
    The installation of the Fall Creators update failed each time with the following behaviour during the second reboot phase:
    - screen turns black at 75% and a hard reboot of PC is needed
    - update continues but freezes at 82%
    - hard reboot of PC causes rollback to the previous version

I followed the error codes produced from the failed update, which asked me to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter, and repair some corrupted system files, re-download the update files, etc etc...NOTHING WORKED

The computer kept freezing at 82%.

I have seen a few threads reporting that an ANATEL WIFI Card is the issue. I duly downloaded the update software once more, unplugged the WIFI Card after the "download" part had completed, and let it continue. 

It worked first time.

@mmesser314
    I disabled the wifi adapter, it didn't help, unfortunately. I was also using a wired connection at one point. I think the solution is to actually pull the WIFI card out. Best of luck!
  • scoob8888
    scoob8888 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Have the exact same symptoms with my Acer M 3450 Desktop running 10 only its with with the new 1803 Spring update. I had no problem with 1709. My question is how do you pull the Wi Fi Card out. ? Thanks in advance.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

The wireless card in an M3450 is a PCI card. Power everything down, remove the side case and pull the card out. There's a hinged gizmo that releases the bracket IIRC.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • scoob8888
    scoob8888 Member Posts: 2 New User
    billsey said:

The wireless card in an M3450 is a PCI card. Power everything down, remove the side case and pull the card out. There's a hinged gizmo that releases the bracket IIRC.
    Worked on it last night and a good part of today. No dice. Updates up to 82% and then black screen necessitating hard reboot and restoring to previous version of windows which in my case is Fall Update 1709. Talked to a buddy of mine and says that the Driver is still the one from 2006 and it will not be updated so its likely all future Features Updates won't install. That's fine with me as 1709 works fine. Thanks for the Advice !
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Take a look at the logs files created during the attempted upgrade. This site shows them from an older upgrade, but they should be similar. One or more of them should point at the actual problem.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.