Aspire Z3-605 WIN 10 update installer tried unsuccessfully to install a new version

PlamenPeneff
PlamenPeneff Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2022 in All-In-One PCs
Hi, I have problems with WIN 10 update.  My PC is Aspire Z3-605 bought with WIN 8 later upgraded to  WIN 10 version 1607. In the last few weeks (as the current version will be no more supported) the WIN 10 update installer tried unsuccessfully to install a new version. Every time It stopped at  55%. Finally, after many forced restarts the OS collapsed. I installed WIN 8.1 without formatting and the old configuration is kept in a new folder "Windows old". Is it possible to restore WIN 10?  

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    download windows 10 and create an USB flash drive using the downloaded tool, then start the update from the USB flash drive:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • GATAN
    GATAN Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same problem, although after a days worth of work, I was able to restore the system with the "last known good version" of Windows 10.  I suppressed all updates until my critical work was done.  Then, about 2 weeks later, without work computer was left on its own for 24 hrs connected to the internet. It finally updated and resumed normal function - rebooting for an hour about 3 times.  I didn't go back to Windows 8 - unfortunately ACER support still lists the system today as Windows 8 even though the system automatically upgraded to Windows10 the minute we powered it on. 

So the last update that occurred about 3-4 weeks ago resulted in another glitch.  The audio driver was lost after the update and I had no sound for 3 weeks.  Again, once I had my critical work done and spent a whole afternoon to do some research on the subject, I was able to find Realtek's company website in Taiwan, http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx.  On that, I was able to locate the Realtek High Definition Audio Codec driver executable for 64-bit OS.  I downloaded it and ran the .exe to re-install the driver, and the sound came back on even before I restarted as recommended.  So the long and short is ... I hate the inefficiencies artificially imposed on the user of all Microsoft Products, in particular by their idiotic update process - all versions of consumer Windows OS included.  I was unable to move way from it at home as my work with large corporations and the government meant I needed to remote log on with a Windows computer.  The sheer amount of IT resources needed to keep a Windows OS functional ... which is like a full day every 3-6 months for debugging or running to the store to get some patching software.  And it was all done to forced the consumer to keep paying it more, i.e. a racketeer scheme.  I have several old ACER products that I was attached to but I will wipe them clean and install LINUX because I think it's a stupid waste of money and environmental resources to have to buy ever more loaded computers just to run an inefficient and evil operating system with its horrifying updates.

• Hogman226
    Hogman226 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi

I have one of these machines on my desk.

It had Win 8.1x64 installed. I removed the HDD and installed an SSD.

Loaded Windows 10 1903 x64 onto the machine.

I updated the Intel Graphics driver to the latest.

As soon as the driver for the AMD Radeon is installed the machine simply locks up. Only way to solve is to hard power off, reboot and do a system restore.

I simply am unable to install the AMD driver, wether it be from the Acer or AMD site.

Has anybody managed to get Windows 10 running from scratch with the AMD drivers?

• hakim398
    hakim398 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi, I have problems with WIN 10 update. My PC is Aspire Z3-605 bought with WIN 8 later upgraded to WIN 10 version 1607. In the last few weeks (as the current version will be no more supported) the WIN 10 update installer tried unsuccessfully to install a new version. Every time It stopped at  55%. Finally, after many forced restarts the OS collapsed. I installed WIN 8.1 without formatting and the old configuration is kept in a new folder "Windows old". Is it possible to restore WIN 10?  32bit not install

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

@hakim398 it would be better for you to start a new thread for your question. This thread is many years old and most people won't even look at it. Include you full model number, the issue you are having and what you have tried so far. How much space is there on your drive? How much memory is installed? Although the Aspire Z3-605 is an older design (3rd generation Intel IIRC) it should be OK with Windows 10.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.