Overclocking Predator X34P - screen flickering

Tovrin
Tovrin Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 14 in 2018 Archives

Hi folks,

So I bought one of the new Predator X34P monitors and I have to say I'm pretty stoked with it so far ... except for one thing.  One of the big selling points is that you can overclock the monitor to 120Hz from its native 100Hz.  So I did ... and it worked for about 2 weeks.

Last week I got home from work and "woke up" the PC.  When I did that, the monitor would start briefly flashing along "scan lines" intermittently in 3-5 second intervals over about 5 minutes.  I've traced the problem down to the overclocking.  When I stop overclocking, it works just fine.  (Yes, I set the video card to the same refresh rate and did everything right.  I'm not a noob.  I know what I'm doing).

I approached the vendor (PC Case Gear in Melbourne) and they said that there is nothing they can do as they don't warranty overclocking.  The monitor works fine when not overclocked.  It flickers when it is overclocked.

I guess my question is more whether PCCG's stance is correct or not.  If this was an X34, I'd be pretty upset as it's only 60Hz out of the box.  The X34P is 100Hz and that's pretty good, but still 120Hz would be better.  Should I expect the ability to be able to overclock?  It's within Acer's overclocking parameters, but it's not an "out of the box" setting.  Do I have any recourse?

Comments

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder

Previously, the X34 came as a 60 Hz monitor with a 100 Hz overclock, though some couldn’t hit 100 Hz stably due to flickering. The X34P solves this offering native 100 Hz with an added boost up to 120 Hz. 
  • Tovrin

The vendor won't even entertain a warranty claim.  Is this something Acer would do?

• Tovrin
    Are there at least any drivers for the X34P?  There seems to be a complete lack of support for this monitor on the Acer site.
  • Plow
    Plow Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey! I just noticed the same issue you just described! I had my monitor for about 2 weeks - overclocked at 120. Everything was working fine but I just started to notice the quick flicker/buzz kind of effect too. Also can confirm that lowering the refresh rate and then setting it back to 120 seems to work. However, this does seem like an issue that might get progressively worse. This is the second monitor - the first one I had to RMA because the the right site was REALLY yellow. Anyway, not sure if I should do another RMA or if maybe its something else?
  • OGM3X
    OGM3X Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I'm thinking about getting one of these monitors but to spend $1100 and have to deal with this is unacceptable !  
  • ssssharan
    ssssharan Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

no drivers 
  • phawkins633
    phawkins633 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Tovrin said:

The vendor won't even entertain a warranty claim.  Is this something Acer would do?

Yes! Acer paid my shipping, etc. Slow boat to China, but eventually it will get there...lol It's Saturday and they will begin to take a look at the flickering on Monday...