What type of m.2 ssd can be added to the Aspire A515-51-563W?

Options
MattH74
MattH74 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited May 2021 in Aspire Laptops
I obviously want to keep the original HDD, and have the SSD be the boot drive. I'm not sure if the new NVMe type will work. Does it matter? Aspire A515-51-563W

//Edited the content to add model name.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    Most probably it will work but I can not confirm it yet, I am going to try tomorrow in my A515-51-563W and let you know, I don't see much difference in performance between a M.2 SATA and NVMe drives, one who transfer large files regularly will benefit using NVMe drives in my opinion.
    You could have a look at these threads:
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537599/which-ssd-m2-i-can-put-on-acer-aspire-5-a515-51g-51d3
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/531296/a515-51-89up-upgrade-options
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    I can confirm that NVMe SSD will work in this model, only problem is finding the screw to secure the M.2 SSD, I just left it and the back cover pushed it down, I don't move my laptop very often, so I don't bother with the screw. It's slightly faster than a 2.5" SATA SSD but very hard to feel the difference under normal functions.

• MattH74
    MattH74 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thanks! I'll start shopping for a M.2 now. Would you know if opening the back up to install it voids the warranty in the US?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    MattH74 said:
    Thanks! I'll start shopping for a M.2 now. Would you know if opening the back up to install it voids the warranty in the US?

You are welcome, I hope that opening will not void the warranty but please make sure with Acer Support centre, make sure that you get a M2.0x2.5 size screw as well.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
  • AceFan
    AceFan Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    I just bought this laptop and am about to purchase an M.2 2280 NVME. However, I do have a question. On some M.2 2280 NVMEs, there is 1 notch and some have 2 on the opposite where you screw it down. Does this Acer take an M.2 2280 NVME with 1 notch or 2?

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    AceFan said:
    I just bought this laptop and am about to purchase an M.2 2280 NVME. However, I do have a question. On some M.2 2280 NVMEs, there is 1 notch and some have 2 on the opposite where you screw it down. Does this Acer take an M.2 2280 NVME with 1 notch or 2?

Hi,
    M.2 NVMe SSD comes with 1 notch(M key) only, M.2 SATA SSD comes with 2(B+M key).

• AceFan
    Options
    AceFan said:

Hi,
    M.2 NVMe SSD comes with 1 notch(M key) only, M.2 SATA SSD comes with 2(B+M key).

Thanks for your answer brummyfan2. But I'm still confused. Looking around from a shopping site like Newegg I have seen M.2 SSD NVMes with both 1 and 2 notches. On the other hand, I have only seen M.2 SSD SATAs with 2 notches. 

I want to get an M.2 NVMe SSD if possible but it's not a deal breaker if it's a M.2 SATA SSD.

For this Acer Aspire A515-51-563W should I get an M.2  SSD with 1 notch or 2?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    AceFan said:
    AceFan said:

Hi,

Thanks for your answer brummyfan2. But I'm still confused. Looking around from a shopping site like Newegg I have seen M.2 SSD NVMes with both 1 and 2 notches. On the other hand, I have only seen M.2 SSD SATAs with 2 notches. 

I want to get an M.2 NVMe SSD if possible but it's not a deal breaker if it's a M.2 SATA SSD.

For this Acer Aspire A515-51-563W should I get an M.2  SSD with 1 notch or 2?
    Hi,
    No problem, the slot in your model compatible with both types of M.2 SSD, sometimes the retailers post a M.2 SATA SSD picture in their advert for NVMe SSD, I have also seen it, so M.2 NVMe SSD comes with 1 notch, there's not much noticeable difference between M.2 SATA( 2 notch) or a NVMe( 1 notch) in normal usage( browsing, e-mail, watching films, office etc.), you could benefit by installing a NVMe SSD(1 notch) if you regularly transfer large files.

• AceFan
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up. 

I plan on buying the M.2 SSD next week. There is both Prime Day and sites that compete with Amazon so there is a good chance there will be deals.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    AceFan said:
    Thanks for clearing that up. 

I plan on buying the M.2 SSD next week. There is both Prime Day and sites that compete with Amazon so there is a good chance there will be deals.
    No problem, good luck with the purchase :)
  • AceFan
    Options
    Here's an update. I bought the Corsair MP300 240GB M.2 2280 NVME SSD and installed it last week. Everything worked perfectly. I used Corsair's cloning software which wasn't in the documentation when the M.2 arrived but was on their support page. 

The reason I got the Corsair is although this isn't the fastest NVME (still light speed over HDDs and SATA SSDs), the sales page talked about spreading out the heat. Overheating can be an issue with NVMEs. I have closely monitored the heat of the Corsair M.2 with CrystalDiskInfo. The normal operating temperature is the mid-30s to low 40s Celcius. One time it got into the low 50s. 

I was pondering buying a heat sink kit before the purchase but didn't do it. I've read the danger zone is 70 and this M.2 hasn't gotten anywhere near that.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    AceFan said:
    Here's an update. I bought the Corsair MP300 240GB M.2 2280 NVME SSD and installed it last week. Everything worked perfectly. I used Corsair's cloning software which wasn't in the documentation when the M.2 arrived but was on their support page. 

The reason I got the Corsair is although this isn't the fastest NVME (still light speed over HDDs and SATA SSDs), the sales page talked about spreading out the heat. Overheating can be an issue with NVMEs. I have closely monitored the heat of the Corsair M.2 with CrystalDiskInfo. The normal operating temperature is the mid-30s to low 40s Celcius. One time it got into the low 50s. 

I was pondering buying a heat sink kit before the purchase but didn't do it. I've read the danger zone is 70 and this M.2 hasn't gotten anywhere near that.
    Hi,
    Normally heat sinks are used when M.2 SSDs are installed in Desktops, I have read someone complain about the ssd not fitting properly after attaching the heat sink in a laptop, your temps look fine and suggest you to leave it as it is.
  • allanrhamilton
    allanrhamilton Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I have an Acer Aspire A515-51-531Z and have the slot for M.2 drive...just want to know if it supports 1TB?
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    I have an Acer Aspire A515-51-531Z and have the slot for M.2 drive...just want to know if it supports 1TB?
    Hi,
    Acer recommends maximum size for this model is 256GB, anything above this may or may not work but I have seen others installing larger SSDs than this in other models, I haven't seen anyone installed a larger SSD in this model.
  • leonxt
    leonxt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    can aspire m5-583p do support m.2 ssd ?
  • gavinkidd13
    gavinkidd13 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    did anyone ever figure out if a 1TB M2 would work?
  • Ezana
    Ezana Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
  • Ezana
    Ezana Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    Acer recommends maximum size for this model is 256GB, anything above this may or may not work but I have seen others installing larger SSDs than this in other models, I haven't seen anyone installed a larger SSD in this model.
    I've installed a Samsung 980 NVMe m.2 500 GB and it works.