A515-51-89UP upgrade options ?

Options
JeBLeSH
JeBLeSH Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2018 in Aspire Laptops

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.GSYAA.001

i cant find details of it, dos it got m.2 slot ?
and if so does it support Optane or NVME ?
can i upgrade the ram on that thing ?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    It has a M.2 slot for SSD, but I don't know if it supports NVMe. Connecting a NVMe SSD will work but it is possible to run at SATA 3 speeds.

You can upgrade the RAM to maximum 16GB(1x16GB) DDR4.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JeBLeSH
    JeBLeSH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

and A517-51-568Y ?

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.GSWAA.001

same thing ?

am looking for a new laptop manly for developmeant

im realy keen on thes new intel 8???U CPU's for the high performence at that power consumption

my storege needs are about 500GB i do prefer one SATA hard disk and one m.2 but 512GB SSD will be accepteble, i need 12GB+ ram and i do prefer dual chanel ram ...

i prefer 15" but 17 or 14 will be accepteble ...

my bodget is 1000$ish and i hav no problem to upgrade things my self

do you know of a better option then thes 2 ?

do you know of a better option then thes ?

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    A517 is the same thing, as it is the same device just 17inches.

You can have a look at Acer swift 3 with 8gen CPUs. I am not very sure, but I think they support dual channel memory. You can contact your retailer about the upgrade options.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• cyberbiker
    cyberbiker Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    I cannot find information on the number of RAM slots, the size, the speed and the maximum possible RAM for A515-51-89UP. The specs just say DDR4 8GB (standard) and there is nothing about RAM in the User Manual.

Has anyone found the secret? It is flaky that Acer does not include the info in each notebook's specs.

Aspire A515-51G-89LS
    NX.GTCAA.017
    Intel Core i7-8550U
    NVIDIA GeForce MX150
    Windows 10x64

• COMPUTERMAN1999
    COMPUTERMAN1999 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    if its like my a515-51g It has 4 gb ram soldered to the mother board. One upgrade able ram slot you can add 16 gig ddr4 total of of 20 gb. google your model with the word upgrade at the end that will get you to Crucial website. that will show your upgrade options 
  • cyberbiker

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    Options
    The specs definitely say I have 8GB (standard). The NVIDIA graphics also has 2GB. A statement in the specs that said something like "4GB DDR4-2400 (4 slots @ 1GB each), 32GB max" would surely save us a lot of hassle.

Here is the link for the i7-8550U, but it does not seem to specify the number of slots, https://ark.intel.com/products/122589/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz#tab-blade-1-0-3

I'm also not sure every i7-8550U installation is the same.

• COMPUTERMAN1999
    COMPUTERMAN1999 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I agree the advertisement for mine talks about easlly upgradeable hatches on the bottom but i open it and find no cable for the seccondary hdd. went through hell trying to find the cable &b caddy  in Canada. very thankful for the posts I found here with the part numbers and pics. I have one coming now 21 days away. The Crucial website it is a good guide to upgrades  for ram and hdd
  • cyberbiker

Tinkerer

Options
    The clearest answer for the A515-51-89UP RAM can be found at http://www.microcenter.com/product/481544/Aspire_5_A515-51-89UP_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

The A515-51-89UP has 4GB sealed onboard memory plus 1 slot with 4GB 260 pin DDR4-2400 SO-DIM. The slot can take up to a 16GB stick that would provide a max of 20GB.
  • Hornbeam
    Hornbeam Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    So I have a

Aspire A515-51-89up

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz   1.99 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Windows 10

1) Planning to upgrade to 20MB RAM
    2) From above, it sounds like the laptop has a m.2 slot, but I can't find any documentation one way or the other in the owner's manual, can anyone confirm this?
    3) What else do I need to know to make sure a specific SSD is compatible with the system?
         Hoping to install 1TB and keep the Hard Drive as extra storage