-Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM upgrades

hunt
hunt Member Posts: 34 Troubleshooter
edited March 15 in 2018 Archives
what exactly can you upgrade on this laptop? Is it limited to only Ram and SSD or are other things upgradable?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    It looks like you could also upgrade the optical disk (Blue Ray maybe) and if you wanted to get really deep in you could swap out the wireless card for something newer (but not likely faster since it's doing two channel 802.11ac already)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hunt
    thanks for that info. How exactly would I go about upgrading to blue-ray?
  • billsey
    Just purchase a Blue Ray drive in the same slimline form factor and swap it for the one that's there... You'll still need video playback software to handle the movies, but other than that it should be a plug'n'play upgrade.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • hunt
     thanks I really do appreciate the info but I have no idea what you are referring to when you say slimline form factor.
  • billsey
    The Slimline form factor is designed to fit an optical drive in a much smaller area than the traditional CD-ROM drive space. It was initially done to allow one to fit into a laptop, but it's not unusual anymore to see them in the smaller desktops and in servers. A quick search on Amazon for slimline blu ray drive gives a bunch of hits, and I would expect the same of Newegg or any of the other computer supply sites. These are not to scale...

• hunt
     I appreciate all the help everyone has given me but the problem I'm having getting a Samsung 860 EVO M.2 250GB SSD up and running in my Acer laptop has done nothing but cause me severe anxiety and frustration. It is a shame when you cant even get answers from any manufacturer about any computer or upgrade  that they themselves make or sell. I would have never imagined this to be the case or I would have never purchased one. I have actually called Acer 5 times and asked the same question with 5 different answers. How is it possible to operate in this fashion? The only place I have found any actual correct answers were here. But when you get here its obviously to late. I just wish Acer would allow me to return all the things I purchased from them as well as other venders so I could go about my life without such a financial burden. Samsung was suppose to have the best tool for loading an M.2 SSD purchased from them. that is nothing but a fable. Their magician could not even recognize the SSD but my laptop did but it would not work. That was the reason I got the Samsung.Then I find out that the magician will not allow the turbo boost to work. The other reason I got Samsung. I cant win for losing. Everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. I have nothing good to say about Samsung or Acer.Sorry just venting. Thanks for the help sorry it was all in vane.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    When I put a Samsung EVO SSD into my R11, I used the Microsoft Disk Image to save the original and load the new device. The only caveat is the partition it is going into must be as large or larger than the source.
  • hunt
    Thats not the problem. It has nothing to do with the size. There isnt anything on my laptop its new.
  • hunt
    thanks anyway
  • hunt
    edited February 2018
    Where would a person sell a new laptop with upgrades installed but not put into operation yet? Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM 16GB Samsung Ram and Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 250GB SSD. Purchased from Amazon 12/30/2017 only use has been a couple movies watched and internet surfed. Barely used at all. Cant figure out how to get SSD operational and causing frustration with not enough how to info for someone that has never worked on computers. Nothing wrong with laptop. problem is me. Just need to be done with it. bad idea for me. and small tool kit.Also have nice carry case,chargeable mouse, key board protector
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    edited February 2018

"Thats not the problem. It has nothing to do with the size. There isnt anything on my laptop its new." Sorry but that makes no sense. As delivered an Acer E5-57x  should have Windows 10-64 plus a bunch of drivers (Video, Wireless, Sound, etc.) plus a bunch of bloatware all loaded on the hard drive and necessary for a complete boot. To replace the hard drive (and a Samsung EVO is a good SSD, I have one in my R3) all of this (why you need either a cloning program or a System Image) must be transferred to the new drive.

There are several ways to do this, for me I used the original system to take a System Image (includes EFI/Boot and recovery partitions if there) onto an external drive and created a recovery flash drive. Then removed the old hard drive from my R3 and installed the new drive. Connected both the recovery flash and the external drive to the laptop, then booted from the recovery flash. One of the options was to restore from a disk image and had a menu selection (have a number of images on that disk) of which image to load. When complete the new drive booted without any issue and had everything that was on the original drive which I now use for a backup drive.

A bit tedious but not difficult (and runs with an i7 desktop now).

• hunt
    By nothing on it I meant no personal files or info only default. Maybe this will give you some insight on me when I say I have (0) experience with computers and what is easy for you is a nightmare for me. All my life I worked in construction. Now Im disabled have no transportation and live on $500 a month. Try that. I just thought I could research and find step by step instructions for upgrading my laptop. Which was my second mistake the first was buying it. I thought I had someone that could help me but that did not pan out. This is a different world that obviously wont let me in. I can accept that. I just need to try and recover most of the money I spent on this venture and allow someone else to prosper off of my stupidity. I dont understand why nothing works for me when explained. When I go to specific places that Im led by others the options Im suppose to choose from isnt there. Short of losing what little sense I have left I just need to sell. I had hoped to find a way to earn some sort of income with the laptop but tht is not possible for me. thanks for trying to help me but it just aint gonna work.
  • hunt
    It has got to the point that Im afraid I will do irreversable damage if I do the wrong thing. Everything still functions properly so it seems like the best time to cut my loses. Its a decent laptop for a person who knows the procedures to finishing what I started. Please let me know if anyone may be interested. Thanks
  • hunt
    Not going to happen without a video from start to finish with every step explained.
  • ProPhotoWriter
    ProPhotoWriter Member Posts: 6 New User
    OK,here's a question, which may be the stupidest ever posed: Can I upgrade my E5-575-33BM to an SSD, and still keep the hard drive in there for additional storage? Or is it a one-or-the-other proposition?
  • billsey
    OK,here's a question, which may be the stupidest ever posed: Can I upgrade my E5-575-33BM to an SSD, and still keep the hard drive in there for additional storage? Or is it a one-or-the-other proposition?
    Not a stupid question at all. Your system looks like it supports a SATA M.2 SSD as well as the hard disk. If you remove the HD cover on the bottom you should see the M.2 mount between the memory and HD. You will have to jump through the typical hoops to move your OS and apps from the big drive to the new one, but it should work.