a515-51g windows 10 pro

gr_reaper_20
gr_reaper_20 Member Posts: 111 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
one of the engineers at acer told me that windows 10 pro is not supported by aspire a515-51g-5072.I am pretty sure that's not true,can someone confirm if i am right or not?
PS: he told me that i should be using windows 10 home single language
Hope that helped you.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It comes with home edition, but I am pretty sure you can upgrade to pro without any issues. The only issue that can arise that I can think of is that if your device has cool boost or dust defender(from quick access application), it may disappear.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• gr_reaper_20
    edited February 2018
    so am i better off using home?

Hope that helped you.
  • ven98
    Here are the differences between windows 10 pro and home: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/compare

If you need any of these features that windows home lacks, then you need to upgrade to pro.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• gr_reaper_20
    ven98 said:
    Here are the differences between windows 10 pro and home: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/compare

If you need any of these features that windows home lacks, then you need to upgrade to pro.

The thing is with windows 10 pro i was having this issue where when i used to game under 30% battery with laptop being plugged in , it didn't charge(plugged in not charging ).It charged normally when not gaming so the engineer told me to use home instead of pro.I am wondering if he is right or not and whether that actually happened because of windows pro.
    Hope that helped you.
  • ven98
    I doubt the problem is because of the windows 10 pro. Are you using windows 10 home or pro now?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• gr_reaper_20
    I agree.I am about to install windows 10 home now as he mentioned the drivers on the official site are compatible with home and not pro.
    Hope that helped you.
  • ven98
    I would suggest you to perform a battery reset. Disconnect from AC adapter, turn off the laptop and follow the instructions. It lets your system to discharge the electricity that has built up over time.

Has the laptop had this problem since you bought it or it appeared recently?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• gr_reaper_20
    It has been around from the very first day.
    Hope that helped you.
  • ven98
    It has been around from the very first day.
    Then it definitely isn't an issue related to pro edition.

If resetting the battery doesn't work, then I suggest you to try updating the BIOS. You can download the latest BIOS here 1.12. If the BIOS that your system is currently running with is 1.12v, then don't update it. Before running the installation make sure the battery is fully charged and the laptop is plugged in to the AC adapter.

If neighter of these helps you can go to device manager>batteries and uninstall ACPI compliant control method battery, restart the system and let windows install the driver.

If that doesn't work, then you should contact Acer in your region. They will most likely ask to install windows 10 home, as they already did and then if that doesn't help, they will ask you to send your device to their repair centre.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• gr_reaper_20
    BIOS is already up to date.Before starting this thread i already sent my laptop to acer's repair centre but they didn't find any problem as it occurs only when gaming,so they weren't able to simulate the conditions for the problem to occur.So,they returned the laptop without doing much.
    However, i already have installed windows 10 home ,hoping that resolves the issue,if not i ll try resetting the battery and all. Thanks for the help.
    Hope that helped you.