ED242QR Abidpx only goes up to 120hz instead of 144hz as advertised

QuackAttack
QuackAttack Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 27 in 2020 Archives
I bought this monitor on ebay from acer, and I received it in the mail today. I booted it up, and noticed that in the display settings it only went up to 120hz instead of the advertised 144hz. Initially I thought it had been falsely advertised on ebay, but it has the same stat on the acer product page. Next, I tried updating the drivers, even going so far to manually download the specific driver for this monitor. Since then I have also contacted support, and in the live chat the guy told me to post here. When I asked why he couldn't fix it, he said "It seems to be some internal parts malfunctioning and i shall recommend you to get help from our Ace-members." I would really rather not have to ship this one in and wait for another one to get here, as I use this computer every day and I do not have a replacement monitor. Is there a way to fix this?

Comments

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    QuackAttack 

Could you please confirm the port that your are using to connect the monitor?
    These are the limitations of the HDMI, In order to get your full 144hz at 1080p you should switch to the display port.
    1.4HDMI Is only capable of 120hz.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • jack_oval
    jack_oval Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2018

@Sharanji can you clarify? The display only has HDMI & VGA inputs. My issue is slightly differnt in so far as the 1920 x 1080 (recommended) resolution doesn't fill up the entire screen. I have 2 Display Port outputs on my PC connecting to the HDMI inputs on 2 x ED242QR monitors.
    Sharanji said:
    QuackAttack 

Could you please confirm the port that your are using to connect the monitor?
    These are the limitations of the HDMI, In order to get your full 144hz at 1080p you should switch to the display port.
    1.4HDMI Is only capable of 120hz.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    It appears there have been different versions of the ED242QR. The original one did only up to 75Hz with a VGA and HDMI, the current one does 144Hz and has VGA, HDMI and DisplayPort. The DisplayPort signal is the one that supports the 144Hz mode. I'm betting yours was an intermediate model. The current model is ED242QR Abidpx. I don't have a list of the different SKUs that have been available, though I see there are both white and black bodies. I'd bet your eBay vendor bought surplus or remanufactured units and just did a copy'n'paste from the current SKU. They should take it back since they misrepresented what they were selling.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fichdo
    fichdo Member Posts: 1 New User
    What is the refresh rate of the ED242QR version wi manufactured February 2018? Many thanks