Cannot get new Acer Aspire E5-575 to boot into installed Linux OS (Lubuntu)

BobThePlumber
BobThePlumber Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a new Acer Aspire E5-575 laptop. It has Windows 10 installed on it. I also installed Lubuntu (a form of Linux, specifically a form of Ubuntu) on the hard drive. I had to change the BIOS settings to do this, but I was able to get the PC to then boot off a USB thumbdrive with a Lubuntu live OS on it. And then installed Lubuntu on the hard drive.

But I cannot figure out how to boot into the installed Lubuntu. If I push F12 on boot up (with no thumbdrive Lubuntu live on it in a USB port) I get only one choice, to select Windows Boot Manager and boot into Windows 10. If I do not hit F12 on startup, it just automatically boots into Windows 10.

On the other hand, if I have Lubuntu live on a thumbdrive in a USB, I can live boot into Lubuntu and I can see the installed Windows and Lubuntu partitions on the hard drive. But I cannot boot into the Lubuntu OS on the hard drive. I am hoping that a procedure such as the one here
https://askubuntu.com/questions/627416/acer-aspire-e15-will-not-dual-boot will work. On the other hand there is a recent post on this forum that said it cannot be done.

QUESTION: Can anybody tell me if it is possible to reset the BIOS or UEFI so I can boot into the Lubuntu (Linux) on the hard drive?

Thanks,

Bob

Answers

• BobThePlumber

Tinkerer

I am kind of coming to the opinion that Acer is not going to be of much help with this. i called Acer support and they said they do not support any OS other than Windows. They did give me some kind of number for third party support, 800-237-6483, which to be fair, I have not yet called. BUT, there seems to be a lot of help that the Ubuntu forums ( https://ubuntuforums.org/ ) may be able to provide on this subject, e.g., search under "dual boot" in quotes. 

BTP
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    If a trusted efi file can't be loaded into the BIOS, you can try to disable secure boot to see if the Windows boot manager will show the distro boot option. You might have to set a BIOS supervisor password in order to disable secure boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BobThePlumber

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack, 

I would feel a little more comfortable if I had a detailed list of steps such as something like the list here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/627416/acer-aspire-e15-will-not-dual-boot .

BTW, I called the 800 number in my previous post and they were of little help. All they said is that it is possible to dual boot, but did not and would not give me any more information. They said to Google  or use YouTube  to find instructions.

BTP
  • JackE
    Heh-heh. That's way too much detail! If I had to do anything close to that much --- fahgeddaboudit! Seriously though, if you're uncomfortable with tweaking the BIOS and other steps necessary for a dual boot, you might want to consider what I did. I'm running SuSE linux, Win98SE and WinXP as guests with VMWare on my Windows machine. The CPUs are so fast nowadays, that it's hard to tell any of these virtuals aren't running natively. And the best part, with enough RAM, it's possible to run all 3 OSes plus the host  at the same time on the same machine and to communicate with one another thru the network. I have mine set up this way because some of the old legacy Windows and Linux software/apps and devices that I still use won't work correctly or at all under the latest WinVers. Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• BobThePlumber

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack, 

I would feel a little more comfortable if I had a detailed list of steps such as something like the list here:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/627416/acer-aspire-e15-will-not-dual-boot .

BTW, I called the 800 number in my previous post and they were of little help. All they said is that it is possible to dual boot, but did not and would not give me any more information. They said to Google  or use YouTube  to find instructions.
    JackE said:
    Heh-heh. That's way too much detail! If I had to do anything close to that much --- fahgeddaboudit! Seriously though, if you're uncomfortable with tweaking the BIOS and other steps necessary for a dual boot, you might want to consider what I did. I'm running SuSE linux, Win98SE and WinXP as guests with VMWare on my Windows machine. The CPUs are so fast nowadays, that it's hard to tell any of these virtuals aren't running natively. And the best part, with enough RAM, it's possible to run all 3 OSes plus the host  at the same time on the same machine and to communicate with one another thru the network. I have mine set up this way because some of the old legacy Windows and Linux software/apps and devices that I still use won't work correctly or at all under the latest WinVers. Jack E/NJ      
    I am presently virtualizing Windows XP and Linux on my old machine. But I sometimes have problems with this. Example: I can't get the local public library's Overdrive software to allow downloading audiobooks through the virtualized Windows. All I could do was use an even older PC with dual booted Windows on it that allowed the Overdrive software to work downloading in Windows. Overdrive does not work with Linux. Otherwise I hardly expect to use Windows, but I'm thinking that there will be other times (rarely) when I just can't get Linux software to do the job.
  • JackE
    Perhaps this link might help resolve the issue https://www.lifewire.com/change-the-efi-boot-order-efibootmgr-4028027

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BobThePlumber

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Perhaps this link might help resolve the issue https://www.lifewire.com/change-the-efi-boot-order-efibootmgr-4028027

Jack E/NJ

Thanks Jack,

That looks like a very good link.

Bob