Windows 10 Update Black Screen Failures Caused by Display Adapters? (Aspire Z1620-UR31P)

WJB-2
WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
For the above referenced 2012 All-In-One, Windows 10 updates crash repeatedly with the black screen shown below. Setup automatically rolls back following hard shut down.  Disconnecting power and waiting hours will occasionally let the setup continue, but only briefly until another black screen or a freeze at 81 percent followed by rollback. This scenario dates back to the initial Windows 10 build through the current 10.0.16299.15 -- Fall Creators Update 1709.  Black screen and other freezes occur with the internal Windows Updater, the Media Creation Tool (MCT), or
DVD-based ISO created from the MCT. Up to now I've always managed after many frustrating hours stretching to days to pull in each update.  But 1709 is proving relentlessly difficult.
There are multiple potential black screen causes during Windows Updates but Microsoft looks first for display adapters acting as upgrade blockers. The recommendation is to either update the video card driver to the latest version or to uninstall the video card driver.
My question to the forum: Z1620s have whatever video chip integrated into either the motherboard or the CPU. Mine is Intel HD Graphics. I pressed Windows key + X > Device Manager > Display Adapters, and selected "Update" for that adaptor and was informed the best driver is currently in use.  So, dare I select "Disable Device" or "Uninstall Device," or am I seeking more trouble?  Keep in mind the freeze at 81 percent is constant and suggests multiple issues.  In the photo below note how the circle has disappeared and all is frozen with only power light on.  I turned off Wi-Fi in this attempt, obviously to no benefit.

Any inputs most welcome.  Black screen troubleshooting is frustrating at best!  My Aspire E1 (laptop) updates cleanly and smoothly for every Windows 10 update.  But I do media consulting so like having a Windows-based backup unit even if stationary.

Best Answers

• WJB-2
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    DanAz are you having this same problem?  Turns out my problem was the Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card.  Check your Network Adapters in Device Manager and if you have Ralink brand see this post.  I have since been able to easily update to versions 1709 and 1803 by disabling the card.  But it only works if I do a "clean install," thereby needing to move all personal files as the "clean install" wipes all existing user data.  I could avoid that by opening the back of the 20-inch All-In-One and removing the card.  But so much time is involved opening and closing the case I choose what I feel is a perhaps somewhat lesser inconvenience.

That's what I get for hating wires and wanting an All-In-One.  In the future it will be an Acer mini-tower connected to a 4K TV.  Some wires, yes, but quicker accessibility again.
  • Redmon01
    Redmon01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    How to fix black screen at start up. Asipre E 15 laptop AMD quad-Core Processor E2-6110(1.50 GHz) r2 Graphics 4 GB 

Answers

• WJB-2
    Okay.  Time out.  Sort of.

While a card/driver issue is one of the places to look in any number of Windows 10 update failures, test results in my situation now show there's a memory failure occurring.

Or perhaps reoccurring.

What had shown as a memory problem with version 1607 appeared to resolve itself under 1703.  But now it's back, according to Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and the highly regarded MemTest86+ 5.01.  So it is finally time -- long overdue, in fact -- that I upgrade this Z1620's RAM.  I'll probably go to the maximum allowed here, 8GB, unless I learn that's overkill for an Intel Celeron G530.

I'll report back on whether the memory refit ends the update failures or simply lessens the failure rate. Allow me some time because I hate the thought of trying to open the back of one of these "oversized laptops."

• DanAz
    DanAz Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

This is a Microsoft - Acer compatibility issue.  Why isn't Acer or Microsoft fixing it or giving us an alternative????????
  • WJB-2
    edited May 2018 Answer ✓
    DanAz are you having this same problem?  Turns out my problem was the Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card.  Check your Network Adapters in Device Manager and if you have Ralink brand see this post.  I have since been able to easily update to versions 1709 and 1803 by disabling the card.  But it only works if I do a "clean install," thereby needing to move all personal files as the "clean install" wipes all existing user data.  I could avoid that by opening the back of the 20-inch All-In-One and removing the card.  But so much time is involved opening and closing the case I choose what I feel is a perhaps somewhat lesser inconvenience.

That's what I get for hating wires and wanting an All-In-One.  In the future it will be an Acer mini-tower connected to a 4K TV.  Some wires, yes, but quicker accessibility again.
  • Redmon01
    Redmon01 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    How to fix black screen at start up. Asipre E 15 laptop AMD quad-Core Processor E2-6110(1.50 GHz) r2 Graphics 4 GB